Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

William M. Young

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 760

WILLIAM M. YOUNG 
    proprietor of a prosperous grocery business with quarters at No. 215 North Pomeroy street, has been a resident of Sidney, O., for seven years and is a native of Shelby county, born in Franklin township, July 2, 1879. His parents were William and Loretta (Rairdon) Young. William Young, Sr., was born in Pickaway county, O., August 31, 1819, and came to Shelby county with his father, Adam Young, who secured a claim on a small tract of land in Franklin township. When these pioneer settlers, William Young, Sr., being then a lad of twelve years, reached their new homestead, November 12, 1832, the only shelter they found was under the branches of an oak tree and cold weather came upon them before they could complete their log cabin.
Pioneers, however, in those days were made of courageous men and women who did not fear hardship or expect much material comfort. Two years later they moved to Dinsmore township on which place William Young, Sr., spent his subsequent life, living to be over eighty-seven years of age and dying December 17, 1906. He was a farmer and also a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal church. He married Loretto Rairdon, who was born in Logan county and died in Shelby county, May 27, 1888.
    William M. Young was reared in Franklin township and attended the country schools until he was fifteen years of age, after which he worked for his father until he was twenty-one years old. He had, however, an ambition to learn the art of telegraphing and when he became legal master of his own time, entered the Ohio Normal University at Ada and studied telegraphy and later continued at Edgerton, O. On October 14, 1901, he went to work for the Chicago & Northwestern railroad at Bertram, la., being then transferred to Des Moines; and in all spent two years in Iowa, coming then to Anna, O., and in 1903 went to work for the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railroad, continuing with them at Lima, Troy and Tippecanoe City. For six years he was with the Big Four railroad, at Sidney, and was also agent at Sidney from July 10, 1909, to January 12, 1910; cashier for the Big Four until June 30, 1911, and from July to December 15, 1911, was train dispatcher for the Western Ohio Electric railroad, his headquarters being at Wapakoneta. After this varied railroad experience he decided to become a permanent resident of Sidney and bought his present mercantile business from E. J. Evans, taking possession on January 1, 1912. 
    In 1903 Mr. Young was married to Miss Faye Knief, of Bloom Center, Logan county, O., and they have three children: Lucile, Warren and Wallace. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toWilliam M. Young

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show