Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

Philip W. Young

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 639

 PHILIP W. YOUNG
    who has been continuously in the general hard ware and farm implement business at Anna, O., for forty-three years, is one of the best known business men of Shelby county and a prominent republican politician of Franklin township, of which he has been clerk, and also has served for twelve years as a justice of the peace. Mr. Young was born on a farm in Mercer county, O., December 10, 1842, a son of Adam and Mary (Noland) Young.
     Adam Young was born in Pickaway county, O., a son of Phillip Young, who settled at an early day on Plum Creek, in Franklin township, Shelby county. Philip W. Young was a boy when his father, Adam Young, came to his father's place on Plum Creek, and here in the woods, Adam and his brother Philip, built a log house. Philip W. Young can remember the fearsome howling of the wolves in the near-by forest, when he was a boy. Here he grew up and when he could be spared from work on the farm, attended the district schools until be was eighteen years of age, when the outbreak of the Civil war determined the course of his life for the three succeeding years. On September 27, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Twentieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry and soon accompanied his comrades to the front, and during his long service participated in twenty-two battles and other engagements, escaping all injury until July 22, 1864, at the battle of Atlanta, he was shot in the right breast, the bullet passed through the upper lobe of the lung and coming out through his shoulder blade. After this serious accident he was incapacitated for the first time and was honorably discharged and mustered out on September 27, 1864. 
    Mr. Young even then was only a boy in years although he had bravely borne the responsibilities of a man. He returned to Anna and afterward taught school for four years and then embarked in his present business and for forty years has occupied the same store site. Here he carries hardware including stoves and farm implements and washing machines and through forty-three years of business dealing has enjoyed the reputation of being honest and upright in all transactions. He is a leading member of the Grand Army of the Republic in this section. Mr. Young was married in 1869 to Miss Libbie I. Cole, of Anna, who died in 1887, survived by two children: Mary Eva, who is the wife of W. E. Shearer; and Don C., who is associated with his father. Mr. Young's second marriage was to Mrs. Sarah J. Elliott, widow of Joseph D. Elliott. Mr. and Mrs. Elliott had two children: a daughter who died in childhood, and Charles B.
Mr. and Mrs. Young are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which Mr. Young is secretary and treasurer.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toPhilip W. Young

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show