Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

Charles F. Yager

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 848

CHARLES F. YAGER
    one of the old and reliable business men of Sidney, O., who has been identified with carriage and buggy manufacturing, including painting and-blacksmithing, for forty-five years, is at the head of one of the most important manufacturing plants of this city. He was born at Middleboro, Elkhart county, Ind., October 2, 1849, and is a son of Clark and Margaret Ellen
(Linn) Yager.
     Clark Yager was a miller and in his son's infancy moved from Indiana to Three Rivers, Mich., where he took charge of the Three Rivers House, where a good business was done for several years, the railroad line being built through there at that time. He removed from there to Carrolton, O., where he operated a mill for a few years and later conducted one in Wapakoneta, and from there went to New Hampshire and there operated both a saw and grist mill until the fall of 1861, when he came to Shelby county and took charge of what is now the Miami Valley Grain & Mill Company's mill, and brought his family here in the following year.
    Charles F. Yager was thirteen years of age when the family came from New Hampshire to Shelby county, old enough to give his father assistance in his mill, the old Walker mill south of Sidney. He then learned his trade, including body and wheel making and for twenty years after worked for H. Miller. The re are few men now in the business who understand its every detail like Mr. Yager and he attributes much of his business success to his practical knowledge. He carries on the manufacture of buggies and carriages, where his large plant includes his blacksmith and paint shop, its location being Nos. 124-126 South West street, Sidney, and gives constant employment to from ten to fifteen men. He has made improvements according to the time but has never changed his business policy, that of giving honest, reliable goods, and takes pride in the fact that when his name is attached to a vehicle, a customer feels that no further endorsement is needed. 
   Mr. Yager was married in 1871, at Sidney, to Miss Nannie L. Yinger, and they have had three children; Mary, who is the wife of George M. Peffer, of Piqua, O., and they have one son, Morris; and Fred C., who is a student in Miami University, at Oxford, 0. Mr. Yager and family are members of the Presbyterian church. He is identified with the Masonic fraternity, the Elks and the order of Ben Hur, and belongs also to the United Commercial Travelers. One child died in infancy.


Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toCharles F. Yager

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show