COL. JAMES B. TUCKER
a prominent citizen of Sidney, O., and one of the city's leading manufacturers, is president, treasurer and general manager of the Tucker Woodwork Company, one of the largest business enterprises of this section. He is a native of Kentucky, a son of Thomas M. and Mary B. Tucker, the paternal line belonging to Southern Indiana and the maternal to Kentucky.
Colonel Tucker received his primary education in private schools and when he reached the proper age, entered DePauw University at Greencastle, Ind., where he was graduated with the class of 1886. He then engaged in the drug business for two years at Mt. Sterling, Ky. In the early nineties he located at Greencastle, Ind., where he organized the Greencastle Manufacturing Company, for the making of bicycle wood rims, but his factory was destroyed by fire in 1897. He then erected a temporary factory at Roachdale, Ind., where he continued his manufacturing until the completion of a new factory, at Urbana, O. and to that place he removed with his family in 1898. Again his plant was destroyed by fire, a conflagration taking place October 17, 1902.
Colonel Tucker was not discouraged, however, but began prospecting for a new factory site, finding it at Sidney, where he located his new buildings and opened for business in 1903. The product of the factory, bicycle, sulky and automobile rims, is shipped to various points both at home and abroad and employment is given to from sixty to 140 men. His present plant consists of two buildings of brick construction, with dimensions of 60x200 feet, one of these being two stories and the other three stories in height.
Colonel Tucker has devoted his life as a business man to manufacturing. He is largely a self-made man, at the beginning of his career starting out on borrowed capital, but it was entirely safe, as he is possessed of that something which is known as business sense and has always been successful despite the losses he has sustained through accident.
Colonel Tucker married Miss Amelia Langdon, a daughter of Daniel Langdon, of Greencastle, Ind., and they have had two children; Harold L. and Grace, the former being in school and the latter being deceased. The residence of Colonel Tucker, which bears the name of Bonyconnellan, is the handsomest residence in the county. In its building it was patterned after a castle of that name situated near the estate of a friend, in the vicinity of Cork, Ireland, who suggested the very appropriate name for the American home.
In politics Colonel Tucker is a republican. He is a member of the Sidney Commercial Club, a member of the Fellow Craft Club of Detroit, Mich., the Toledo Quo, Toledo, O., and formerly was a member of the Columbia Club of Indianapolis, and was active as a committeeman when the new buildings were erected there. He has always believed in life insurance and is one of the largest policy holders in Shelby and perhaps in adjoining counties. He carries more than $100,000, and has one policy of $50,000 in the Northwestern Life Insurance Company. He stands high in citizenship at Sidney and is a leading factor in both business and social life, has ever been liberal in his contributions to charity, and his high sense of justice has made him companionable with all classes.