Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Ignatius Heinrich Thedieck

Ignatius Heinrich Thedieck

Male 1855 - 1926  (70 years)

 

I.H. Thedieck

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 851

I. H. THEDIECK
    proprietor of Sidney's large and up-to-date department store, was born in Alfhousen, Germany, January 30, 1855, a son of C. F. G. and Bernadine (Sudendorf) Thedieck, his father being a successful merchant of that place. Coming to America at the age of sixteen, the subject of this sketch resided for a short time in Cincinnati and then went to Dayton, O., where he spent some five or six months in the public schools. Returning to Cincinnati, he obtained a position as clerk in a business house and was thus occupied for three years, in the meanwhile studying the English language and American business methods. In September, 1875, Mr. Thedieck came to Sidney and in company with Philip Raterroan opened a dry goods store in a small frame building that stood on the present site of Herzstam's clothing store. The business was carried on under the style of Thedieck & Raterman and rapidly increased in size and importance, so that in the following year it was found necessary to remove to more spacious quarters. These were found in the Thompson building, in the room now occupied by the Montanus shoe store. In February, 1878, Mr. Raterman retired and Mr. Thedieck then carried on the business alone. In a few years increasing prosperity made another removal necessary and in 1882 Mr. Thedieck took up his quarters in the east room of the present fine building now occupied by him. The subsequent history of the concern has been one of increasing success. More space has been required from time to time, until now the entire building, consisting of three large double floors and basement, is devoted solely to the business. All the most practical modern conveniences
have been installed; the store has its own steam heating plant; its own electric light plant and the most improved cash delivery system, while a fine passenger elevator furnishes transit between the various floors. There are also a rest room, toilet rooms and free telephone service for the convenience of the store's patrons.     Mr. Thedieck carries a most complete stock of almost everything needed for the personal use of man, woman or child, in addition to household goods and many other articles demanded by necessity, comfort or luxury. In the variety and quality of the stock, the prices asked, the service, and in its fittings and appointments, the Thedieck Department Store will bear comparison with almost any store of its kind in the larger cities. Its trade extends widely into surrounding counties, its outside patrons being especially attracted by the reliable quality of the goods sold, a fact that has had perhaps the most to do with the marvelous growth of the business. The large outlet gives an immense purchasing power, to the establishment, which enables it to buy for less money and consequently to sell for less. Large surplus lots are often purchased from the manufacturers at special price concessions, an advantage that is always shared with the customers. The building up of such a business is an achievement in which Mr. Thedieck can take a just pride, not merely from the fact that in so doing he has advanced his own personal fortunes, but still more in that he has conferred a real and substantial service upon his fellow citizens and knows that it is appreciated. It is unnecessary to pay any long rhetorical tribute to his business ability or force of character. What he has done speaks for
itself. Such concerns as he has successfully established are not built up by weaklings or second-rate men. They are the work of great business generals, commercial Napoleons, so to speak. Aside from his own personal business interests, Mr. Thedieck takes a keen interest in the general prosperity of the city in which he has made his home, and shows an enlightened public spirit in many matters affecting the moral and material betterment of the community. He is a man of courteous and genial manners and enjoys a wide popularity.
    Mr. Thedieck was married October 18, 1878, to Miss Ida C. Wagner, a daughter of Matthias Wagner, now deceased. He and his wife have been the parents of four children, namely: Charles M., Frank P., Inez M.  and Paul C., of whom Charles M. and Paul C. are now deceased. All the members of the family belong to the Catholic church, and move in the
best society of Sidney.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toIgnatius Heinrich Thedieck