HON. WILLIAM C. WYMAN
probate judge of Shelby county from 1876 until 1882, was born in County Wexford, Ireland, September 29, 1833, and was eleven years old when his homesick, boyish eyes rested last on the green shores of his native land from the ship Keying, that was bearing him away to that land of promise across the sea, America.
He left his parents, Patrick Cousins and Mary (Furlong) Wyman, behind, and they spent many more years there, the father dying when aged ninety years and the mother when still five years older. As a cabin boy, with his brother John, on the brig Keying, bound, from Liverpool to Newburyport, Mass., with a load of salt, William C. Wyman no doubt learned many hard lessons of life before land was reached.
John Wyman later was given charge of one of Captain Cushing's vessels and again went to sea, but William started to complete his education in what was known as the West Male Grammar School. When he left school he once more became cabin boy on a vessel which sailed from Beverly, Mass., to Charleston, S. C., reaching port after a fearful struggle with the elements off Cape Hatteras. Later he once more went to sea, making two more trips across the Atlantic ocean, between Charleston and Liverpool.
By this time he was tired of the sea and through a happy combination of circumstances, was led to find his way to Cincinnati, O. There his first work was done as a clerk in a grocery store and afterward he learned the plastering trade and followed that until 1853. Chance brought him to Sidney and fortunately he was pleased with the good people he met and with the evidences of thrift and business opportunity and shortly afterward came here as a permanent resident, becoming a contracting plasterer and gradually acquired not only a heavy financial standing but became a citizen who was justly regarded with confidence and esteem.
In 1876 he was elected probate judge and served six continuous years. In 1884 he was elected a trustee of Clinton township and in 1885 was elected mayor of Sidney and served through two years, also becoming librarian of the public library, continuing for eight years. For many years he served as a justice of the peace and more recently has been health officer of Sidney. Judge Wyman was active also during the Civil war and served as lieutenant of the military organization known as the "Squirrel Hunters."
On October 6, 1856, Judge Wyman was married to Miss Ellen E. Ryan, who was born and educated in Boston, Mass., and was the first teacher in the Catholic school at Sidney. She is a daughter of John S. and Bridget Ryan. Judge and Mrs. Wyman have five children living; Mollie, Nellie, Celia, Sidney and Charles. The second born, John, died in young manhood, when just ready to be admitted to the bar.
During his whole life Judge Wyman has been a democrat in politics and a Roman Catholic in religious faith. He is a very versatile man and, among his other capacities, at one time added school teaching, being a very acceptable substitute teacher on one occasion in Orange township. At present he is a notary public and is engaged in the insurance business, including fire, plate glass "and accident protection.