Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

Clemens Wolke

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 461

CLEMENS WOLKE
    who is numbered with the representative and substantial citizens of McLean township, Shelby county, O., is treasurer of the Sherman Special School District and the owner of a large property situated in section 10, consisting of 160 acres of valuable land. He was born on this farm, April 8, 1856, and is a son of John C. and Mary Wolke. John C. Wolke and wife were born, reared and married in Germany and a daughter was born to them there, Ida, who died before they came to America. They had but two children, Clemens being born after they had
reached McLean township, Shelby county. They found five acres of their 160 already cleared and John C. Wolke put in a crop as soon as possible arid afterward worked constantly to clear his land, being assisted by his son as the latter attained strength to be of material help. Twenty-five acres have been left as a wood lot, but all the rest is made productive through careful cultivation. All the buildings now standing were erected by the present owner and all the other improvements now in evidence were placed here by him. The father and mother both died on this farm, the father when aged seventy-two years. They were excellent people, devout Catholics and good neighbor's. Their burial was in the St Michael's church cemetery. When aged twenty-three years, Clemens Wolke was united in marriage with Mary Raterman, a daughter of Ferdinand Raterman, a member of an old family of McLean township, and they have one
daughter, Bernadina, who resides at home. Mr. Wolke and family are members of St. Michael's Catholic church. He has always been a democrat, in his political opinions and has taken an interest in township matters and has been particularly active in advancing the usefulness of the public schools. He has long been a member of the board of education and for eighteen years has been its treasurer. His property is well situated being on the south side of the Sherman turnpike road and but four miles southwest of Fort Loramie.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toClemens Wolke

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show