Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Charles L. Windle

Male


 

Charles L. Windle

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 631

CHARLES L. WINDLE
    a valued and experienced member of the board of county commissioners of Shelby county, O., has been a representative citizen of Orange township for the past nineteen years. He was born in Clinton township, this county, November 16, 1870, and is a son of Henry and Mary Elizabeth (Buirley) Windle. Mr. Windle was but one year old when he lost his father by death and during the following five years he lived with his maternal grandfather in Clinton township. He was six years old when his mother married H. H. Wilson, and they moved to Green township, and he continued with his mother and step-father until he was twenty-three years of age, in the meanwhile securing a good common school education. He was reared to be a practical farmer
and has followed agricultural pursuits ever since, in 1892 purchasing his present farm of forty acres, which lies in a favorable section of Orange township.
    In 1894 Mr. Windle was married to Miss Daisy Arbogast, of Green township, Shelby county, a daughter of Lewis and Henrietta (Maderris) Arbogast, the former of whom is now deceased, the latter still living. Mr. and Mrs. Windle have one son, Lewis, who attends to the farm when his father is engaged with his official duties. This farm is a part of the tract which Mr. Windle's maternal great-grandfather, William K. Buirley entered from the government, and, except for eight years preceding its purchase by Mr. Windle from a. Mr. Watkins, has
never been out of the family.
   It is usually from the solid, thinking men of a township that the members of the board of county commissioners are selected, the office being one of considerable responsibility and great importance.  Mr. Windle has long been active politically and has served on many political committees in the democratic party, and in the fall of 1910 was first elected to his present office and in the spring of 1912 was reelected. For seven years prior to this he had served as a trustee of Orange township.


Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toCharles L. Windle