From The History of Shelby County, Ohio, published by R. Sutton & Co.,
M. Wagner was born in Alsace, France, April 24, 1818, and in 1830 came to America, and drove a team through to Pittsburg, where he met his father, who had preceded him by stage to Baltimore. Here he began to work in a tobacco factory for one dollar a week, but a few months later went to Butler County, PA., where he followed farm work about eighteen months. After this he moved back to Pittsburgh and labored at whatever work he could find. Coming to Ohio he settled in Columbiana County and engaged in farming. From there he went to Steubenville, Wheeling and other places, working as best he could at the different points. In this way he worked and struggled until 1837, when he started for Allen County, and after a little while came to Sidney, where, with his brother Peter, he worked on the canal until the winter arrested the work. He then returned to the Allen County farm and began improving it. Again he returned to the canal work and finally stated a business in Sidney, opening a meat market and prosecuting other enterprises, until he has become one of the strongest financial men of the town. In 1844 he married Miss Mary Rauth, and has seven children living, named Mary, William, Milton, Benjamin, Flora, Lewis, and Bertha. Four children, named Charles, John, Ellen, and Amelia, are dead.