Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

William H. Wagner

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 573

WILLIAM H. WAGNER
    In every community there is some one family which stands out prominently among the other inhabitants and in the history of Sidney that family is Wagner. They were originally French, born in Alsace, then a northern province of France, and came to this country in 1830, three sturdy brothers, Joseph, Peter and Mathias. Mathias Wagner first saw the light of day in Alsace, April 24, 1818, and in 1830 came to America and drove a team through to Pittsburg, where he met his father who had preceded him by stage from Baltimore. After working there awhile he came to Ohio, to Columbiana county, and there his father engaged in farming. Mathias came on to Allen county in 1837 and a year later to Sidney, when he opened up a meat market and
engaged in other enterprises until he became one of the strongest financial men of the town. In 1844 he married Miss Mary Rauth, born in Germany, and became the father of twelve children, eight of whom are living. Two brothers of Mathias were born in Ohio, John and George, and came to this county in the fifties. Mr. Wagner died in June, 1888. William H., the second child of this union, was born in Sidney, May 24, 1855, attended parochial and public schools in Sidney and supplemented this with a course at St. Mary's Institute at Dayton. He married Miss Sophia Cable, of Sandusky, in 1880, who died leaving a son, Cable, who is now associated with the Wagner brothers in the Wagner Manufacturing Company. In 1887 he married Miss Ina Graber, of Findlay, who became the mother of seven children, one of whom died at the age of two years. Mrs. Wagner died a year ago, January 26, 1912, universally beloved. His oldest son, Mathias, is now an interne at St. Frances hospital, in Pittsburg, an honor graduate of medicine from the St. Louis University, in 1912. His second child, Marcelle, graduated with the B. A. degree from St. Mary's Institute three years ago, matriculated with the M. A. degree from the Catholic University at Washington and is now taking a theological course in Cincinnati. William is now at St. Mary's and the daughter Rose Evelyn, the youngest, with two sons, Richard and Alfred, are attending school in Sidney. Mr. Wagner lives next the old Wagner homestead on North Miami avenue, and while a very busy man, finds time to cultivate the higher side of his nature in his love of music, pictures and books. He was for many years the tenor soloist in Holy Angels church and is now one of its wardens. Mr. Wagner is now and has been president of the First National Exchange Bank since its organization in 1899. President of the People's Savings and Loan Association for the last ten years and for twenty-four on its board of directors. He has been president of the Wagner Manufacturing Company since its organization twenty-two years ago. This company makes high grade polish and nickel-plated and aluminum kitchen utensils. Mr. Wagner is also president of the Sidney Telephone Company and a director in the Sidney Tool Company and the Monarch Machine Company. He was president of the Commercial Club in 1906 and has always taken an interest in civic utilities and is foremost in advancing public spirited enterprises. Proof of his business capacity is shown in the success which has attended his efforts and which has made his name a familiar one in marts of trade at many points.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toWilliam "Willie" Henry Wagner

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show