Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

Henry Wagner

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 770

HENRY WAGNER
    vice-president and general manager of The John Wagner & Sons Brewing Company, of Sidney, O., may be said to have been associated with this concern since boyhood, it having been founded in 1854 by his uncle, Joseph F. Wagner and ever since has been in the family. Henry Wagner was born at Sidney, O., July, 1858, and is a son of John and Mary A. Wagner. John Wagner was born in Columbiana county, O., and died at Sidney, in 1881. In early life he was a tallow candler and later learned the butcher business. He was a poor boy at that time, in
fact, when he had learned his trade and wished to move to St. Mary's and open a meat shop there, he had to borrow the money with which to do so. In 1859 he came to Sidney and rented the brewery that his brother had established, and in 1860 bought an interest in the business and in 1876 bought the entire plant. He was a shrewd and able business man and very soon enlarged the original plant and through his energy and enterprise built up a great business. From his death in 1881 until 1896 the brewery was operated by his sons under the name of John Wagner's Sons, when it was incorporated as The John Wagner Sons' Brewing Company, with Mary A. Wagner, widow of John Wagner, as president; Henry Wagner as vice-president and general manager; and Edward J. Wagner as secretary and treasurer. In the winter of 1911-12 the company installed some of the latest and finest bottling machinery in use in the United
States, the capacity of their plant permitting them to bottle 100 barrels of beer every ten hours.
    John Wagner was married in 1857 to Mary Ann Mayer, who survives and lives in the old home at Sidney, and nine children were born to them, two of whom, Henry and Edward J., are interested with their mother in the brewery. Henry Wagner began to work in his father's plant as soon as his school days were over and is a practical brewer and brewmaster. He married Miss Josephine Erne, of Fort Wayne, Ind. He maintains fraternal relations with the Elks and the Eagles and belongs also to the United Commercial Travelers. Edward J. Wagner, secretary and treasurer of the above company, was born at Sidney, January 6, 1860, and, like his brother, has been connected with this brewery during his entire business life. He married Miss Elizabeth
Kraft. of Sidney, and they have two sons: Carl J. and George E.  Mr. Wagner belongs to the Eagles, the Elks and the United Commercial Travelers Association, and is more or less active in local politics and during 1884, 1886 and 1888, served in the city council. Both he and brother are solid, reliable business men, and in both public and private life are trustworthy in every particular.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toWilliam Henry Wagner

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show