Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Misc. Photos



» Misc. Photos     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 64» Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...


Shelby County Children's Home

The home was dedicated November 4, 1897 and was opened a short time later. The children from Shelby county had previously been living at the Logan County Children's home, but were transferred back to Shelby county after the new Children's home was built.
In 1903, a two-story school, with grades 1 through 4 on the first floor and grades 5 to 8 on the second floor, was built from the money left in the will of Mrs. Mary Barkdull (d. 1898). In 1939, the school was closed and the children were sent to Orange Township school located on Rt. 25. In 1865, the school was torn down.
The main building in the center is the only part still there. The other buildings were the "Boys' Cottage and Girls' Cottage". They, and the covered corridors linking them to the main building were torn down years ago.


Owner/SourceBetty Bevans
AlbumsMisc. Photos

» Misc. Photos     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 64» Next»     » Slide Show