Orrin C. Staley
"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
ORRIN C. STALEY who resides on his well improved farm of 100 acres which he in Salem
township, additionally, in partnership with his brother, Roger W.,
owns a valuable tract of thirty-eight acres, situated in Perry
township, and is one of the well known men of Shelby county,
belonging to a family established here by his grandfather eighty-one
year ago. He was born in Salem township, Shelby county, O., east of
Port Jefferson, January 17, 1871, and is a son of Oliver C. and Anna
(Cargill) Staley. Oliver C. Staley was born in Shelby county in 1847,
a son of William Staley, who was born in Montgomery county, O., in
1821, and came with his father, John Staley, to Salem township, this
county, in 1831. In 1844 William Staley married Barbara Harshbarger,
daughter of Jonas and Hettie (Jacobs) Harshbarger and they had four
children. In 1869 Oliver C. Staley married Anna Cargill and two sons
were born to them: Orrin C. and Roger W. The mother of these sons
still lives on the homestead on section 20, Salem township, but the
father died in February, 1911. He was a representative man in his
township and county, was a school teacher in his youth and later
served in numerous township offices and for four years was county treasurer.
Orrin C. Staley attended the public schools in Salem township and
afterward, for four years, the schools of Port Jefferson. Both he and
brother early began to give practical assistance on the farm and after
their school days were over the entire management was turned over to
them. During the mother's lifetime the homestead of 209 acres belongs
to her but, by the terms of the father's will, the sons are expected
to finally come into the property. Mr. Staley is an enterprising and
intelligent farmer and takes pride in keeping his place in fine
condition. His father was one of the organizers and was president of
the Farmers Telephone Company and Mr. Staley is a member
of its board of directors and one of the stockholders.
On September 20, 1893, Mr. Staley was married to Miss Blanche
Leapley, who was born in Shelby county, a daughter of Otho H. and
Mary (Stone) Leapley. Mrs. Staley has three brothers and one sister:
Charles E., Quinn, J. R., and Anna, who is the wife of A. N. Wooley.
Mr. and Mrs. Staley have three children: Lova, Homer and Mary, all of
whom are being given every advantage in the power of their parents.
In politics Mr. Staley is a democrat but in local matters exercises
discretion in casting his vote. He has served in the councils of his
party on several occasions and has long been a member of the school
board. Fraternally Mr. Staley confines his interest to the order of
Odd Fellows and is identified with the lower branch at Port Jefferson
and the Encampment at Sidney. With his family he attends and gives a
liberal support to the Baptist church at Sidney.