Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

George W. Staley

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 686

GEORGE W. STALEY
    who is one of the well known citizens of Shelby county, a retired
farmer, owns eighty-five and one-half acres of fine land in Jackson
township, situated one mile north of the southern township line. He
was born in Franklin township, Shelby county, August 29, 1841, and is
a son of John and Catherine (Young) Staley and a grandson of Joseph
Staley, who was a native of Virginia and from there came to
Montgomery county, O., at that time having but one child. He was
twice married and became the
father of twenty-two children.
    John Staley was born in Montgomery county, O., and remained there
into young manhood, when he came to Shelby county and entered eighty
acres of land in Franklin township. He married Catherine Young, who
was born in Ohio, a daughter of Philip Young, who married twice and
had twenty-two children. To John Staley and wife the following
children were born: Henry C., Susanna, George W., Nancy Jane, Milton
and Sarah Elizabeth. From Franklin township John Staley moved into
Jackson township and there his death occurred at the age of sixty
years and his burial was first in the Wesley Chapel cemetery but
later removal was made to the new cemetery at Port Jefferson and he
was reinterred by the side of his wife. George W. Staley attended
school in Jackson township and was not much more than a boy when he
enlisted for service in the Civil war, entering Company B, Twentieth
Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served under Captain Frey for thirteen
months when he was discharged on account of disability. He then
returned to the homestead in Jackson township and has lived here ever
since and during his active agricultural life did a large amount of
general improving and all the land is under cultivation by his
tenant, Stewart Swiger, with the exception of ten acres still in
valuable timber. All the substantial buildings now standing on the
farm were placed here bv Mr. Staley and his farm stock has always
compared favorably with that of other farmers of this section. He has
some other interests, including stock in the Farmers Telephone
Company. On November 3, 1864, Mr. Staley married Miss Sara C. Erven,
who was born in Union township, Union county, Ind., December 21,
1841, a daughter of James and Lucrctia (Campbell) Erven, and when
Mrs. Staley was eight years old her parents moved to Shelby county.
Her father died in Jackson township when aged seventy-one years, and
her mother when aged eighty-six years, six months and twenty-two
days, and their burial was in Salem township. Since his marriage Mr.
Staley has lived on his present farm and here his children have been
born and reared as follows: Edwin L., who lives at Maplewood, O.,
married Etta Arbigast and they have one son, Hugh A.; Milton E., who
is a resident of Auglaize county, married first Edith Elliott, who
became the mother of two children: Huber and Ralph E., the former
deceased, and married (second) Lulu Hobby and they have one child,
Twila; Minnie M., who is the wife of William G. Murphy and they live
in Franklin township and have two children: H. Clay and Bessie;
George P., who married Anna Maria Ambos and they have two children:
Welland A. and Bertram Lowell; James M., who lives in Salem township,
married Hattie Stephenson, and they have three children: Edith, Edna
and George L.; Alice J., who married William Buroker of Pemberton,
O., and they have six
children: Thelma, Ethel, Mabel, Dorothy, William W. and Elizabeth;
Isophine C., who is the wife of L. G. Shanley of Pemberton, O., and they
have four children: Grant, Theodore, Jennie C., Charles EIwin and Staley;
Bessie. who is the wife of Albert Linker of Dinsmore township and they
have one son, Eugene; and Mary, who is the wife of Clarence Rhinehart, of
Kirksville, Missouri. From the age of three years Mr. and Mrs. Staley have
reared their grandson, Ralph, who was then left motherless. He has been
carefully educated and has developed into a fine specimen of young manhood
and is a pride and comfort to his grandparents. In the fall of 1912 be
started into business for himself at Dayton, O. Mr. Staley and family are
members of the United Brethren church. In his views on public questions
Mr. Staley is liberal to some degree except in the matter of temperance
and his opinions on this vital subject have made him a voter with the
prohibition party. For nine successive years he served as a member of the
school board and during seven of these was president of this body of
representative men, and for five years he served as township constable and
for four years was a trustee of the township.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toGeorge W. Staley

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show