Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Charles F. Snyder

Male


 

Charles F. Snyder

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 475

CHARLES F. SNYDER
    one of the representative men of Cynthian township, resides in
section 27, where he devotes his 130 acres of valuable land to
general fanning and cattle raising. This land is in two farms and
they are situated one third mile north of the Sidney-Hardin turnpike
road. Mr. Snyder was born April 19, 1863, in Miami county, O., and is
a son of Henry and Lydia (Ward) Snyder. Henry Snyder was bom in Perry
county, O., and was reared and educated there. He married Lydia Ward,
who was born in Hocking county, a daughter of Daniel and DeliIiah
Ward. Daniel Ward was a direct descendant of Nathaniel Ward, who was
commander of the Patriot forces at Boston, Mass., in the early days
of the Revolutionary war, before General Washington took command.
After marriage. Henry Snyder and wife moved to Miami county and
settled in Washington township, and also, at one time lived in Allen
county and also in Van Wert county. Grandfather Snyder gave each of
his children a farm of 160 acres but Henry Snyder never lived on his
tract, trading it for sixty acres of the farm which his son, Charles
F., now owns. He died in Cynthian township in March, 1866, and his
burial was at Sugar Grove, O., in the cemetery of the Brethren
church. His widow continued to live in Cynthian township until 1900,
when she moved to South Whitley, Ind., where she died in September,
1905, and her burial was also at Sugar Grove. They were well known
and highly respected people and were parents of eight children,
namely: Daniel W., who died in 1877, at Peoria, Ill., was aged
twenty-four years; Mary A., who is the wife of John P. Golly, of
Cynthian township; John W., who died in 1897, at the age of forty
years; Isaac, who lives in Cynthian township; Christiana, who lived
but ten months; Charles F.; Jerd, who lived but six days; and Henry,
who is a resident of Dayton, O. Charles F. Snyder received his early
school instruction in the Forest Special School District but when
fourteen years of age was transferred to the Hopewell district, where
he attended for four years and then returned to the Forest district
and later attended school at Sidney. In the fall of 1883 he took
charge of a school in Van Buren township, where he taught for three
years and then taught for one year in Dinsmore township. After his
marriage he moved to Botkins, and from there, in the spring of 1891,
to his present home farm of eighty acres having bought out the other
heirs and his mother's dower in 1900; he added to this a fifty acre
farm in 1905, and in 1911
he and his son Virgil W. purchased 120 acres in Michigan, where he has
done a large amount of improving in the way of draining and building.
    In 1886 Mr. Snyder was married to Miss Adella Blakeley, who was born
in Dinsmore township, Shelby county, a daughter of John and Elizabeth
Blakely, the former of whom was bom in Franklin and the latter in
Licking county, O., and their parents, respectively, came to Shelby
county in 1832 and 1835, being pioneers. To Mr. and Mrs. Snyder were
born children as follows: Virgil W., who lives at Beaverton, Mich.,
married Bessie Ward; Melsenia, who lives in Turtle Creek township,
married R. Schmidt; Carl W., Israel Blakeley and Cora M., all of whom
live at home; May, who died when aged twenty-three days; and an
infant daughter who died at birth. Mr. Snyder is one of the
enterprising and public spirited men of the township, was one of the
incorporators and is secretary of the Farmers Telephone Company and
lends his influence to further all movements which promise to be for
the public welfare. He was reared in the republican party and has
always given it support and has been one of its leaders in the
county, formerly serving as a member of one of the important county
organizations. At present he is serving in his third tenn as a notary
public and since 1898 has been a member of the board of education of
the.Forest Special School District, of which he is clerk.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toCharles F. Snyder