Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

Philip Smith

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 668

PHILIP SMITH
    president-of the Philip Smith Manufacturing Company, one of the most
important business enterprises of Sidney, O., giving employment to a
large number of men and thereby adding to the general prosperity of
the city, is one of the solid, stable, reliable men of Sidney. He was
born at Harris,burg, Pa., September 7, 1839, and is a son of
Reinhardt and Catherine Smith. Reinhardt Smith and wife were natives
of Pennsylvania and probably were of German parentage. He was a
foundryman by trade and after
his son Philip had started his foundry at Sidney, came here with another
son, Michael, and they became partners in the business).
    Philip Smith was reared in Dauphin county, Pa., through his school
period and then came to Ohio, and in a foundry at Dayton learned the
molder's trade and remained there until he was almost twenty-one
years old, when he came to Sidney, and here started out in business
for himself on a capital of $25, practically among strangers. He was
able to purchase the ground on which an old foundry had formerly
stood but had been destroyed by fire, and in 1859 he put up his first
shop and from that time until the present has been in the
manufacturing business and is the oldest manufacturer in the city.
Industrious, persevering and possessed of mechanical skill, Mr. Smith
gradually broadened his business field until his plant had been
developed into one of such importance that it became advisable to
form a company, and thus the Philip
Smith Manufacturing Company came into existence and its capitalization is
$130,000, Mr. Smith owning the majority of the stock, his partners being
L. M. Studevant and B. D. Heck. The business carried on is the manufacture
of elevator machinery and employment is afforded from eighty to one
hundred workmen. Mr. Smith retained the active management until 1907, when
he rerired but with no loss of interest. When a man has built up a
business like that of Mr. Smith, no formal retirement from some of its
responsibilities can cause him to lose his interest in its continued
prosperity. At various times Mr. Smith invested in farm land and in town
property and both are now exceedingly valuable and his investments
aggregate 270 acres. For some years after starting into the manufacturing
business Mr. Smith operated a spoke plant together with his foundry, and
also a hollow ware factory, but sold the latter to the Wagner
Manufacturing Company and discontinued the former. Mr. Smith has always
been too busy a man to take a very active part in politics, but at times
has consented to serve on the city council, where his business judgment
has been highly valued. He is one of the oldest members of the Odd Fellows
in this section.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toPhilip Smith

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show