James E. Smith
"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
JAMES E. SMITH a representative citizen and leading business man of Maplewood, O.,
where he owns and conducts a general store, was born in Logan county,
O., November 2, 1868, and is a son of Ralph Newton and Huldah (Davis)
Smith. Ralph Newton Smith was a very well known man and followed
farming and was also a veterinary surgeon. He was a man of temperance
principles and gave his political support to the Prohibition party.
Both he and wife died in Logan county, all of their children
surviving except Elizabeth and Elliott. The others are; Laura, who is
the wife of William T. Rairdon; Elbridge; Talitha, who is the wife of
Perry A. Hill; Edwin, and James E. James E. Smith attended the public
schools and afterward taught one term of school. He remained at home
and gave his father assistance until 1904, when he embarked in his
present business. He carries a large and carefully selected stock,
comprising dry goods, notions, shoes and groceries, and as his
methods of business have encouraged trade his customers come both
from the town and the surrounding country. Mr. Smith is an
enterprising and progressive business man but in his own success does
not lose sight of the general welfare, being ever ready to do his
part. On October 16, 1892, Mr. Smith was married to Miss Clara Smith,
this similarity of name being merely a coincidence as the families
are in no way related. Her father, William F. Smith, was a farmer and
a veteran of the Civil War. He married Mary Mattox and two children
were born to them: W. E. and Clara. Mr. and Mrs. James E. Smith have
four sons: Paul, Franklin, Kenneth and Carl. The family belongs to
the Methodist Episcopal church, and they occupy a pleasant social
position in the town.
|Owner/Source||Submitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith|
|Linked to||James E. Smith||