Frederick H. Sleeter
"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
FREDERICK H. SLEETER a well-known and highly respected citizen of Sidney, O., to which
city he retired from his farm many years ago, is a native of Ohio,
born in Auglaize county, October 23, 1836. His parents were Henry and
Catherine Sleeter. Henry and Catherine Sleeter were bom in Germany.
After coming to Ohio and settling in Auglaize county. Henry Sleeter
acquired a farm of forty acres but whenever opportunity offered
worked at his trade of millwright and later left the farm and rented
a mill on Greenville Creek, in Darke county, near New Harrison, and
took charge of and operated it for one year before his family joined
him there. Living conditions vrere not comfortable there, however,
and parents and children returned to Auglaize county and during the
cholera epidemic of 1847 the father and the youngest son, Henry, both
succumbed to the disease at the same time and their burial was in the
same grave. The mother was later married to John F. Meyers, who
operated a hotel at Bremen, and F. H. for several years assisted his
step-father, serving behind the bar and taking care of the stabling
of the horses. Mr. Meyers did a good business as there was much wagon
travel at that time east and west through Bremen. Frederick H.
Sleeter had attended a German school in Auglaize county but it was
not until he was about fifteen years of age and had entered the
employ of Joseph Dowler, in Newberry township, Miami county, that he
learned the elements of the English language, being first instructed
in Sunday school. He was anxious to learn and made rapid progress,
his employers, Joseph Dowler and Henry Wright, who were
brothers-in-law, taking a great deal of interest in him, and he
remained with them for four years. At that time many young men were
going to Iowa to seek better opportunities, and Mr. Sleeter also
visited that state but within nine months returned to Ohio and then
came to Sidney, where a half-brother, George W. Metzger, was then
living, the latter being a son of his mother's first marriage which
had taken place in Germany. In the meanwhile, having learned the
carpenter trade with Henry Wright, Mr. Sleeter followed the same and
prior to 1860, lived for some time in Shelby county with a family
connection, Benjamin Wert. After marriage he bought a farm of 140
acres, situated in Green township, on which he lived from 1860 until
1886, at which time he and his wife moved to Sidney, where they have
a fine home, the handsome brick residence being on South Main avenue.
Mr. Sleeter gave the first farm he owned to his daughter, Mrs. B. T.
Bull, and had improved that as well as his present farm of 152 acres
which is situated in Orange township. In 1860 Mr. Sleeter was married
to Miss Mary Bucannan, a daughter of David Bucannan, who was one of
the pioneers of Shelby county. Six children have been born to Mr. and
Mis. Sleeter; Lottie, who is the wife of B. T. Bull; Ella, who is the
widow of Judd Miller; William and Olia, both of whom are deceased;
Agnes, who is the wife of Jesse L. Frazier; and Thomas B., who died
in childhood. Mr. and Mrs. Sleeter are active members of the
Universalist church. Formerly he was a democrat in his political
affiliation and on that ticket was elected treasurer of Green
township, in which office he served with efficiency, but in later
years has been identified with the prohibition party. For many years
he has been an Odd Fellow.