Shelby County

John Christopher Simes



John Christopher Simes

born Sept. 7, 1814; died Feb. 9, 1878. He married on Nov. 2, 1844 to Amanda Hendley, born Mar. 13, 1821; died Sept. 28, 1898, daughter of John Denton Hendley and Clarissa Harrington. John Christopher was born in that part of Champaign Co., OH that became part of Clark Co., OH when it was formed in 1817. It was virgin forest when his parents settled there. When he was 17, he went with his parents to their new home in Brown Twp., Miami Co., OH where he married a neighbor's daughter. Amanda Hendley was the granddaughter of William Hendley, a young brick and stone mason who was living in Boston at the time of the American Revolution. As were many craftsman of that time, he was a staunch member of the "Sons of Liberty" and leaders against unfair British treatment of their colonies in the new world. He lived near the Liberty Tree" and was an "Indian" the night of Thursday, Dec. 16, 1773. He boarded a ship and helped dump the tea into the bay. He fought at Concord and Bunker Hill at the beginning of the Revolution. He served in the 7th Mass.   Reg. and was discharged at West Point, NY in 1780. He fought around New York  City and was encamped at Morristown, NJ. William Hendley, born 1747; died 1830 in ME, married on Oct. 29, 1769 to Mary Buckler(died 1812) and they had 9 children, of whom his youngest son was John Hendley, born Nov. 24, 1791; died May 10, 1876. John was apprenticed and learned the carpenter's trade.  Soon after the War of 1812, he joined others in similar circumstances and with packs on their backs, walked to Ohio. In 1816, he was given a contract to supply and apply all of the woodwork necessary in building the first courthouse in Canton, OH. The walls were of brick and were built by Thomas Drayton. The whole project cost $6250, a considerable sum in that day. This courthouse stood until the completion of a newer one about 1880. John Denton Hendley married in Sept. 22, 1816 to Clarissa Harrington, born Sept. 15, 1789 in NY; died Feb. 5, 1862 in Miami Co., OH shortly after the courthouse was completed. He bought a farm and moved his family to Clinton Co., OH. Amanda was born there and came with her parents at 8 years of age to Brown Twp., Miami Co., OH where her father bought land east of Fletcher, OH. John engaged in farming and was an operator of one of the very active sawmills in the township. John Christopher Simes and Amanda began housekeeping in Brown Twp., but soon moved to a farm in Shelby Co., near Palestine, OH. In 1850, they settled on the SE quarter of section 6, town 1, range 12, of Orange Twp., of Shelby Co. This property is bordered by Bull Pike and Simes Road, beginning 
one-half miles north of Kirkwood Pike. They also acquired within the next 5 years, part of the NE quarter of section 5, adjoining his other land on the south. John Christopher sold to his father-in-law, John Hendley, 65 acres, part of section 6, in Oct. 1851, but reacquired it later. Upon his death, the Shelby Co., OH Democrat in its issue of Feb. 15, 1878 stated; "Died. in Orange Twp., Shelby Co., OH, John C. Simes in the 64th year of his age. Mr. Simes was a man who had the love and estem of all who knew him. To know him was to respect him in the good influence he exercised among his associates."  He had been elected treasurer of his township and served several years. He was active in "Orange" Grange and a card of regret at his passing was  published by its officers. John was described as a very large, tall and well proportioned man. John and Amanda are buried in Fletcher, Miami Co., OH Cemetery.

William Hendley Simes, born Sept. 8, 1845 in Palestine, Shelby Co., OH; died July 3, 1914 in Orange Twp., Shelby Co., OH. He married on Feb. 22, 1873 to Susan Faulder, born May 15, 1854 in Shelby Co., OH; died there on Oct. 29, 1940, daughter of James Faulder and Louisa Appleby/Applebee, residents of Orange Twp. William's father's farm in Orange Twp., stood on a 165 acre tract originally acquired from John Dey who had lived there at a very early day, with his daughter, Henrietta, in a log cabin almost surrounded by forest. william's father built a large frame house, near this log cabin, after acquring the property. An interesting story was told to some members of the Simes Family about this log cabin and the home site. It was related by Henrietta Dey, then an elderly lady, when she came to visit her former home about the year 1880. She stated that when she was a young girl and alone in the log cabin, a group of Indians traveling along the trail came into the yard. The Indian mothers carried their papooses still securely strapped to cradle boards made of tree branches and animal skins. They took these contrivances off their backs and leaned them against the log house leaving the papooses still securely strapped. They went to a well in the yard, drew some water in the wooden bucket and refreshed themselves. Then they came to the cabin and asked for food. It was given them. They seemed satisfied, and the squaws again secured their papooses to their backs, and the whole party proceeded along the crude road to the great relief of the terrified Henrietta. All but the papooses were on foot. 
          William grew up on this homestead and the adjoining 77 acres purchased fromn Luke Fish. After his marriage, William and Susan lived for a short time on the farm owned by his grandfather, John Hendley, east of Fletcher, OH where their two eldest daughters were born. Before the 3rd daughter was born, they had moved to the Luke Fish farm owned by his father. There they lived until after his father's death and until his mother had a new house built for her on the Dey farm facing Bull Pike. William and his family then moved to his father's old homestead. After his mother's death, William inherited 40 acres facing Bull Pike and purchased another 40 acres from other heirs and moved to the new home his mother had built. He spent the remainder of his life on this farm. William was of medium height and weight, keen of wit, and very popular with his associates and had a host of friends. He served several years as trustee of his township and several terms as a member of the school board. On one occasion, he was called for petit jury service from Shelby Co., to the Federal Court in Cincinnati, OH. 
          Susan was born in Orange Twp. Her paternal and maternal grandparents were all born in England, John and Hannah Faulder and Thomas Appleby. Her father, James Faulder, was born in Smoketown, now Mt. Lena, MD, and her mother, Louisa Appleby was born in Montgomery Co., MD. After William's death, in 1917, Susan married Charles Heck, born 1858; died Jan. 1940. William, Susan and Charles are buried in Graceland Cemetery in Sidney, OH. Children:

Pearl Louisa Simes, born Dec. 20, 1873 in Orange Twp., Shelby Co., OH; died Apr. 6, 1967 in a nursing home in Maryville, OH. She married in Nov. 1891 to William Taylor Voress, born May 20, 1869 in Orange Twp., Shelby Co., OH; died Feb. 23, 1946, youngest child of John A. Voress and Caroline Eliza Layman of Orange Twp. Pearl lived her entire life on a farm in Orange Twp. Taylor and Pearl are buried in Fletcher, OH, Cemetery with their two sons and wives.

This biography was taken from a book, T H E  J A M E S  S I M E S  F A M I LY   W I T H  R O O T S  I N P E N D L E T O N  C O U N T Y,  V I R G I N I A 
N O W  W E S T  V I R G I N I A by Hugh E. Voress 

Owner/SourceSubmitted by Orin P. Reams, Jr
Linked toJohn Christopher Simes