George W. Short
"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
GEORGE W. SHORT who is a successful general farmer residing in section 17, Cynthian
township, where he cultivates 106 acres of fine land belonging to his
father, was born on his father's homestead in Cynthian township,
Shelby county, O., February 9, 1852, and is the oldest son of John
and Elizabeth Short. After his school period was over, George W.
Short assisted his father on the home farm until 1889 when he became
a salesman of organs and pianos for the Baker Music Company of
Sidney. After marriage he settled on a farm that adjoins his present
one on the south and lived there for two years and then came to the
one on which he has resided ever since and here has made many
improvements including the erecting of a new residence and the
remodeling of the other buildings. The property is well drained and
tiled and is in fine condition. Mr. Short was married (first) to Miss
Sarah Ann Noland, of Washington township, Shelby county, who died at
the age of twenty-nine years, her burial being in the cemetery at
Oran, O. She was the mother of two sons: John R. and Harley H. The
latter married Bertha Hemmelright and they reside in Cynthian
township and he is a fanner and school teacher. They have three
children: Hubert R., Musetta C., and Martha Ellen. Mr. Short was
married (second) to Miss Mary Walters, who died aged twenty-seven
years, leaving one daughter, Elizabeth May, who died when nineteen
years old. Mr. Short's third marriage was to Miss Lilla Belle Taylor,
a daughter of Alexander Taylor, formerly of Montgomery county, O.,
but for some fifteen years a member of Mr. Short's household. To Mr.
and Mrs. Short four children have been
born: Martha Belle, who died when aged fifteen months; Olive Goldie, who
died when aged eleven weeks; and Emmet Wendle and Byron W., both of whom
are making satisfactory progress at school. Mr. Short and family are
members of the Christian church at Oran, of which he is a deacon and is
also a member of the nuance committee and clerk, for the past thirty-five
years having been active and helpful in this church body. In 1881 Mr.
Short was elected a member of the board of education of the Short Special
School District and he has served continuously with the exception of two
years, and during that time was president of the board for one year, also
treasurer and its clerk for twenty years. On the democratic ticket he was
elected township assessor and served two years in that office, and in all
his public life has commanded the respect and possessed the confidence of
his fellow citizens.