"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
W. J. SHERMAN who is assistant cashier of the Loramie Banking Company, at Fort
Loramie, and a member of its board of directors, belongs to one of
the old and substantial families of this section, one that has had
much to do with the development of Shelby county. He was born at Fort
Loramie, on the west side of the Miami canal, May 3, 1869, and is a
son of W. J. and Mary (Hummer) Sherman. W. J. Sherman was born in
Germany and was four years old when his father, William Sherman,
brought him to the United States, in 1836, and settled in Shelby
county. A thrifty, enterprising and broad-minded man, William Sherman
became a leader in many of the early movements in this section and
through his efforts a schoolhouse was erected on his farm and the
special school district as well as the fine turnpike road afterward
constructed, bears the Sherman name. W. J. Sherman received his
primary education in the above district but completed his education
at Cincinnati, O., and afterward taught school for some years and
subsequently.was made county surveyor, of Shelby county, acceptably
filling that important office for twelve continuous years. After his
marriage he settled in McLean township and became interested in the
lumber and stave manufacturing business and in this connection
acquired some 1,000 acres of land lying in Patterson township, in
Darke county and in McLean and Cynthian townships in Shelby county.
He was also engaged as a dry goods merchant at Fort Loramie, being
the senior member of the general mercantile firm of Sherman &
Pilliod. His death occurred at the age of sixty-five years and his
loss was felt in many circles. He was a faithful member of St.
Michael's Catholic church and he and wife carefully reared their
children in this faith. As a leading democrat in his section he was
frequently honored by his party with election to public office and he
many times served as township trustee and in other capacities. He
married Mary Hummer, a daughter of Peter Hummer, then of Cynthian
township, and three sons and five daughters were bom to them, namely:
Johannah. who is the wife of Bernard Borger of McLean township;
Magdalene, who is the wife of Anthony Brandewie, of Clinton township;
Mary, who is the wife of John Borger, of Fort Loramie; Peter, who is
a resident of Sidney; Catherine, who is the wife of J. B. Trimpe, of
Sidney; Clara, who is the widow of Henry Pilliod. of Toledo, O.; W.
J.; and Charles, who died when aged twenty-three years. The mother of
the above family survived to the age of seventy-two years.
W. J. Sherman, who bears his late father's name, attended school in
boyhood in the Berlin special school district and afterward was a
student at St. Mary's Institute, Dayton, O. He then gave his father
assistance on the home farm until he was twenty-one years of age when
he turned his attention to the livestock business and for seven years
was a large shipper of stock from this section. Since the organization
of the Loramie Banking Company he has been on its directing board and
one of .its officials, and was one of the promoters of the
Minster-Lorain Railway, and is secretary of the company. Since his
marriage he has resided in McLean. township and is interested there in
200 acres of land, divided into two well-improved farms.
On November 25, 1896, Mr. Sherman was married to Miss Frances
Schemnecker, who was born in Kentucky and is a daughter of Frank and
Ida Schmnecker, who were then residents of Minster, O. To Mr. and
Mrs. Sherman the following children have been bom: Frank, William,
Victoria, Mary, James, Beatrice and Helen. The family belongs to St.
Michael's Catholic church and are interested and active in many of
its avenues of benevolence and pleasant social organizations. Mr.
Sherman is a strong democrat, along old Jeffersonian lines, and his
influence in his party is marked. As a citizen he is held in
exceeding high esteem, serving for years as a member of the city
council of Fort Loramie and for seven years was elected mayor, his
wise management of municipal affairs during this long period,
bringing about much prosperity.
|Owner/Source||Submitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith|
|Linked to||W.J. Sherman||