Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Adolph F. Sherman

Male


 

Adolph F. Sherman

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 511

ADOLPH F. SHERMAN
    clerk of the board of education of the Sherman Special School
District and so well qualified for that position that he has been
retained in office for twelve continuous years, was born on the farm
he owns and occupies, 240 acres, situated in section 9, McLean
township, Shelby county, O., February 12, 1855, and is a son of Henry
B. and Catherine Sherman. Henry B. Sherman was born in Germany and
when nineteen years of age came to the United States with his parents
in 1835, who settled in what is now McLean township, all this
cultivated and Improved locality being at that time a wilderness. The
Shermans were progressive and intelligent men and the Sherman
schoolhouse was built on Grandfather Sherman's farm, that property
being owned at present by John Siegel. Henry B. Sherman was a
somewhat unusual man for his day and opportunity, possessing great
mental gifts and these were made valuable to those with whom he lived
and associated. For twenty-two winters he taught school, attending to
his farm industries in the summers, and served in many local offices,
being township clerk and a justice of the peace for many years,
always giving his political support to the democratic party. In his
youth he frequently carried corn as far as Piqua to have it ground.
He was an earnest Catholic and first attended church at Minster and
later was one of the founders of St. Michael's church, and on account
of his many activities this neighborhood was called the Sherman
Settlement and when the turnpike road was completed his name was
given it to honor his memory and to reflect credit on his sons. His
long and useful life was extended to eighty-six years. He married a
young woman who was also a native of Germany and she accompanied her
parents to Shelby county when sixteen years of age and lived here
into her eighty-first year. To them were born three children: John
J., Louis and Adolph F. Adolph F. Sherman attended the Sherman school
and grew up on his father's farm and this has always been his home.
In addition to the old homestead as noted above, Mr. Sherman owns a
second farm, containing eighty acres, situated in section 11, McLean
township and the substantial buildings now standing were erected by
him. Mr. Sherman cleared some twenty acres of his land and still
retains forty acres in timber growth that is valuable. In 1879 Mr.
Sherman was united in marriage with Miss Agnes Brandewie, a daughter
of Joseph Brandewie. She was born in 1862 and died in 1891 and her
burial was in St. Michael's cemetery. She was an estimable woman in
every relation of life and was the devoted mother of the following
children : Henry, Herman, Clara, Lucy, Caroline and two babes,
deceased. In politics Mr. Sherman has always been a zealous democrat
and as a citizen he has so met the approval of his fellow citizens
that they have honored him time and again by electing him to
responsible township offices. In 1899 he was first elected clerk of
the Sherman Special School District and has been continued in the
office ever since. For nine years he served as township assessor, for
two terms as land appraiser, and for six years acceptably filled the
office of Justice of the peace.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toAdolph F. Sherman