Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

J.W. Sherer

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 802

J. W. SHERER
    whose three farms, all situated in Jackson township, aggregate 360 acres of land, is one of the well known and reliable men of Shelby county. He was bom in Stark county, O., four miles east of Canton, October 18, 1863, and is a son of Jacob and Catherine (Barnhart) Sherer. Jacob Sherer and wife were born in what is now Alsass, Germany, and were seven years old when they accompanied their parents to America and settled in Stark county, O. After reaching maturity they married there and lived for some time in Stark county and then moved to Shelby county, settling in the Montra special school district. Later they disposed of their land and moved to Logan county and they died in Bloomfield township at the age of fifty-eight, years, separated by but one year. They were members of the Lutheran church and their burial was in the Port Jefferson cemetery. In politics the father was a democrat but he never held any public office in Shelby county. Of their seven children four are yet living J. W.; Matilda, who is the wife of G. H. Clayton of Salem township; George, who married Carrie Bruner, and they live in Logan county; and Orlando, who lives in Logan county, married Flossie Cole. 
    J. W. Sherer attended school in Logan county and assisted his father on the Logan county farm and afterward engaged in farming for his father-in-law, Thomas Wright, in Jackson township, Shelby county.  Afterward, when his father gave him his present home farm. of 240  acres, he began to raise stock and makes a specialty of thoroughbred Percheron horses. Many improvements have been made on this farm and his other properties and he has nineteen buildings in use. He built the first farm elevator in Shelby county. For the past sixteen years he has occupied his present home farm and utilizes all of his land with the exception of twenty-five acres still in valuable timber. A part of his other land he rents to a tenant and another farm he rents by the field, all providing a satisfactory income on his investments. For about nine years Mr. Sherer was connected with the Maplewood Elevator Company, owning a one-half interest, and he is also interested in the Farmers Telephone Company.
    On February 18, 1894, Mr. Sherer was married to Miss Ida M. Wright, who was born April 26, 1874, a daughter of Thomas and Delia (Littlejohn), Wright. Thomas Wright was born in Franklin county, O., and was eleven years old when he accompanied his parents, John and Sarah (Schultz) Wright, to Delaware county. They were natives of Pennsylvania. In 1865 the Wrights moved to Logan county, where Mr. Wright lived on the home farm of 320 acres. His first marriage was to Delia Littlejohn, who was born in Jackson township, Shelby county, and died at the age of twenty-six years, her burial being in the Pleasant Hill cemetery near Jackson Center. She was a devoted mother to her two children, Ida May and Alice, the former of whom is Mrs. Sherer and the latter is the wife of Elwood Dunson, of Van Wert, O. Mr. Wright's second marriage took place December 31, 1881, to Elizabeth Geyer, a daughter of Philip and Amelia (Herpst) Geyer, natives of Germany. Mrs. Wright died without issue, in 1889, and her burial was at Port Jefferson cemetery. On October 14, 1892, Mr. Wright married Barbara Johnston, of Franklin county. Mr. and Mrs. Wright live in the eastern part of Jackson township, he owns two valuable farms, one of 160
and the other of n6 acres, both improved, and both rented to good tenants. Since the age of fourteen years Mr. Wright has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
    To Mr. and Mrs. Sherer the following children have been born: Ralph Wright, Roy Thomas, Leo Harry, Ray William, Opal Mildred and John Franklin, all of whom survive except two, Ralph and Wright. Mr. Sherer and family belong to the Methodist Episcopal church. Politically he has always been identified with the democratic party but outside of agricultural positions, has accepted no office of a public nature. He is a member of the Grange, is a thirty-second degree Mason, and from 1902 until 1912 was a member of the Shelby
county fair hoard. He is one of the well balanced business men and reliable and useful citizens of the county.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toJ.W. Sherer

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show