who is one of Jackson township's most respected and reliable citizens, for twenty years, with the exception of an interval of three years, a member of the board of education, is a stock-raiser and farmer, owning 400 acres of fine land. His home farm in Jackson township, contains 160 acres, while his farm in Dinsmore township contains 240 acres, this being the farm on which he was reared. He was born in Wittenberg, Germany, September 9, 1845, and was six years old when his parents settled in Jackson township, where they died. During the great Civil war, John Shellenbarger, father of Christian, served in the 20th Ohio battery. He was an old German military man and his previous army experiences had taught him much about warfare.
From the age of eight years, Christian Shellenbarger lived with strangers, being then bound out to George Reynolds, where he found a good home and kind treatment and remained with Mr. Reynolds until his marriage, when aged twenty-four years. He then located in Dinsmore township, west of Montra, O., three-fourths miles distant from Mr. Reynolds' farm, purchasing eighty acres, and lived there until after the birth of his fourth child, when he moved to Jackson township and after the birth of another child, his first wife died, aged thirty-seven years. Mr. Shellenbarger has lived in Jackson township ever since the fall of 1882. His 400 acres of land have all been improved except thirty acres in Jackson and forty acres in Dinsmore township and in large degree the work of improving has all been done by Mr. Shellenbarger. While he carries on general farming very successfully, he has always been more interested in raising thoroughbred cattle and all kinds of stock, giving particular attention to Shorthorn cattle, Chester White hogs, Shropshire sheep and Hambletonian and Percheron draft horses. Mr. Shellenbarger attends to his own farm industries in Jackson township, while his son Arthur operates the farm in Dinsmore township. Mr. Shellenbarger is a stockholder in the Snider-Poole Company store of which he was the owner for one and a half years and then sold to the Snider-Poole Company. He also is a stockholder and a director of the Decatur-Springfield Electric railway. Politically a democrat, he has been loyal to his party and effective as a citizen, and has served on several occasions as road supervisor and three terms as township trustee.
Mr. Shellenbarger was married first to Miss Anna K. Foster, who was born in Clark county, O., but was reared in Jackson township. Her parents were William C. and Mary (Smith) Foster, Five children were born to this marriage: George 0., Emma F., Mary C., Arthur C. and William E. His second marriage was to Miss Amanda Taylor, a daughter of John and Margaret Taylor, the former of whom was bom at Harrisburg, while his wife was a native of North Carolina. They came to Shelby county in 1832 and found one log house representing the settlement of Sidney. Mr. Taylor entered land in Dinsmore township, and found Indians plentiful but they were kindly treated at his log cabin and continued harmless. He died when aged eighty-one years and his wife at the age of seventy-nine years and they were buried in Wesley Chapel cemetery. Of their eleven children, six survive and three live in Sheiby county. Mr. Shellenbarger and family belong to the Methodist Episcopal church at Jackson Center and for many years he was a church official.