Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

George C. Schiff

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 713

GEORGE C. SCHIFF
     who owns 162 acres of valuable land situated in Franklin township, and is a director and stockholder in the Anna Bank, at Anna, O., is one of the substantial men of this section and one who is held in respect and esteem. He was born in Franklin township, Shelby county, O., August 25, 1859, and is a son of Christian and Catherine (Fogt) Schiff.
     The parents of George C. Schiff were born in Germany but spent their married life in Ohio and died at Anna where they had been living retired. Their burial was in the Pearl cemetery in Franklin township. They were good, Christian people, devout members of the Lutheran church. To them were born the following children; George C., Michael, Caroline, Jacob, Louisa, Lena, Albert C. and Clara, the last named being the wife of William Minton.  Albert C. is a Lutheran minister at Columbus, O. Jacob and Louisa are deceased the latter having been the wife of William Stuber. Caroline is the wife of Christina Hagelberger and Lena is the wife of Joseph Bennett.
     George C. Schiff has spent his life on his present farm, in early years assisting his father and after the latter's death purchasing the property, or seventy acres, as he inherited ninety acres. The father owned seven farms and gave a  farm to each child. Mr. Schiff also carries on general farming and also deals in livestock.
     On October 18, 1883. Mr. Schiff married Miss Matilda Machlitt, born at Painesville, O. a daughter of Henry and Rosa (Muschulsky) Machlitt, the latter of whom died in October, 1912. They had the following children: Augusta, wife of J. L. Ferguson; Matilda: Louis, deceased; Emma, wife of Thomas McVay; George, deceased; John; and Minnie, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Schiff have three children: Stella, who is the wife of M. C. Finkenbine and they have four children:  Tehkla, Wilbur, Velma and Luther; Laura, who married Elmer Stuckman and they have two children, Dorothy and Hazel; and Wilbur M., who married Marjorie Finkenbine. The family belong to the Lutheran church at Anna and when the new edifice was put up Mr. Schiff was a member of the building committee and is now church treasurer. In politics he is a democrat and has served honestly and efficiently in public offices. For eight years, he was a justice of the peace and for nine years served on the county fair board.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toGeorge C. Schiff

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show