Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

J.W. Rottinghaus

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 515

J. W. ROTTINGHAUS
     one of the well known men of Shelby county, was born April 20, 1863, and reared on the farm of 160 acres, situated in section 5, McLean township, on which he has always lived, his people having been early settlers in this section. He is a son of J. B. and Elizabeth (Unterbrink) Rottinghaus.
     J. B. Rottinghaus was bom and reared in Germany and was a young man when he came to Putnam county, O., where he married Elizabeth Unterbrink, also a native of Germany and a daughter of Henry Unterbrink. After marriage they came to McLean township, Shelby county and settled on the land which was later chosen as the site of the reservoir, and when they moved from there, J. B. Rottinghaus began the purchase of the present home farm, buying it at different times. It was all covered with heavy timber and it required years of hard work to clear and put the land under condition to cultivate advantageously. Here he continued to live during the remainder of his life, dying in his seventy-seventh year, his burial being in the cemetery attached to St. Michael's Catholic church at Fort Loramie, of. which he was a member. Politically he was a democrat and was one of the leaders of his party in McLean township, of which he was clerk for seven years and for twenty-one years served in the office of justice of the peace. He was the father of ten children, the four survivors being; Elizabeth, who is the wife of Herman Klecker; Matilda, who is the wife of John B. Holcher; Ann, who is the wife of Bernard Schlater; and J. W. Those deceased were: Mary, wife of Joseph Shennan; Caroline, wife of Bernard Gerling; and Catherine, Henry, Carl and Frederick.
    With his brothers and sisters, J. W. Rottinghaus attended school in the Sherman Special School District and afterward continued to assist his father on the home farm and when the latter died assumed entire charge. He has made many improvements here including the erecting of a substantial barn and other buildings, but the farm house, which was so stanchly built forty-five years ago, still continues the family residence. When it was built it was considered a modern house, having many conveniences, and comforts not included in other structures in the neighborhood. Mr. Rottinghaus successfully carries on farming and stock raising and is one of the substantial men of this section.
     Mr. Rottinghaus married Miss Mary Holthaus, a daughter of Bernard Holthaus. She died at the age of thirty-three years and her burial was in St. Michael's cemetery. His second marriage was to Mrs. Clara (Fleckenstein) Sherman, widow of Joseph C. Sherman, and they have two children: Alma and Leona. To her first marriage three children had been born: Tracy, Joseph and Velma. Mr. Rottinghaus and family are members of St. Michael's Catholic church. In politics he has been a stanch democrat all his life although he has never been willing to accept any political office.


Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toJ.W. Rottinghaus

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show