who owns one of the best improved farms of Green township, consisting of 160 acres, situated seven miles southeast of Sidney, for many years carried on extensive farming here but now lives retired. He was born in Clark county, O., near Springfield, July 13, 1826, and is a son of. James Butler and Rachel (Stanley) Randolph.
James Butler Randolph was born in New Jersey and was eight years old when his parents took him to Darke county, O., and from there he moved to Miami county in 1839, and in 1852 came to Shelby county where he lived into advanced age, dying on his farm in Turtle Creek township. In earlier years he had followed his trade, being a cooper. He married Rachel Stanley, who was born in Virginia and who also survived into advanced age, her death occurring on the farm of her only surviving child, William Randolph, the family originally being of eight members, five sons and three daughters.
When William Randolph tells of his early school days he describes a log structure with slabs for benches and paper in place of glass in the windows, as the place in which he gained his knowledge of reading, writing, spelling and arithmetic, the primary elements of an education. It was a subscription school and each householder paid according to the number of children he sent to be instructed. Mr. Randolph started out for himself by working by the month on farms and helping the neighbors during haying and harvesting, until his marriage when he bought his present farm, in 1851, and settled on it in 1852. He cleared this land and erected the buildings and continued to make improvements until his property became exceedingly valuable, and continued to cultivate it until he no longer cared for such heavy responsibilities and for some years has rented it to good tenants. His handsome brick residence is one of the finest farm homes in Green township.
Mr. Randolph married Miss Sarah Elizabeth Bull, who is deceased. The following children were born to them: Elias, John, Clinton, William, Edward, Samuel L., Bert and Grant, Elias and William being deceased. Mr. Randolph's second marriage was to Miss Harriet B. Denise, who was born and educated in Montgomery county, O., a daughter of Hiram Vail and Rachel (Barklow) Denise. The father of Mrs. Randolph was a lumber merchant at Cincinnati. Mr. Randolph is a republican in his political attachment. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. During a long and busy life he has witnessed many wonderful changes come about, and in looking around him misses the faces which long association in family and neighborhood had made familiar, but he still has a close circle of warm friends, and, with the blessing of good health and surrounded with material comforts of all kinds, can enjoy the evening of life untroubled with the cares of earlier years.