WILLIAM G. MURPHEY
a well known resident of Shelby county, O., who, for fourteen years has operated the Daniel Curtner farm in Franklin township, was born on this farm November 13, 1865, and is a son of Henry and Nancy (Cole) Murphey. Henry Murphey is a highly respected retired farmer now living at Port Jefferson, O. He was twice married, first to Nancy Cole, who died in 1875, and second to Rhoda Busic. To his first marriage three children were born, namely: Clara, who is the wife of John Lochard; Minnie, who is the wife of Rev. Harrison Thompson, of the Christian church; and William G. To the second union one son was born, Charles.
William G. Murphey obtained his education in the schools of Franklin township and afterward followed farming with his father and grandfather until his marriage. He owns an excellent farm of eighty acres, situated in Salem township, but it has suited his convenience to remain on the Curtner farm, where he carries on a general farming line, raising only enough stock, however, for home use.
In January, 1881, Mr. Murphey was married to Miss Minnie Staley, who is a daughter of George W. Staley and wife of Jackson township, Shelby county, who had the following children, all well known people of this section; Edward: Mrs. Murphey; Milton, Alice, who is the wife of Rowe Buracre; George; Mark; Isophene, who is the wife of L. G. Shanley, of Pemberton, O.; Bessie, who is the wife of Albert Linker; and Mary, who is the wife of Clarence Rinehart. Mr. and Mrs. Murphey have two children: Clay, who is a student of osteopathy, in college, at Kirksville. Mo.; and Bessie, who resides at home. The family belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church. In his political affiliation Mr. Murphey has always been a republican.