FRANK B. MILLER
member of the board of education of Hopewell special school district, of which he has been clerk for the last ten years, is one of Cynthian township's most respected citizens. He is a retired farmer and lives on one of his three farms, which aggregate 250 acres, his home being in section 22, four miles southeast of Fort Loramie, O. Mr. Miller was born January 12, 1861, in Lancaster county, Pa., a son of Cyrus and Jane (Gingrich) Miller.
Cyrus Miller was born in Dauphin county, Pa., and his wife in Lebanon county, in that state. When they came to Ohio they located on a farm west of Pleasant Hill, in Miami county, and from there in 1876 moved to a farm in Cynthian township, Shelby county, near Oran, O. They now reside with their daughter, Mrs. William Snow, who lives in Cynthian township. Of their family of six sons and two daughters, two sons are deceased.
Frank B. Miller was eight years old when he accompanied his parents to Miami county and was fifteen when they came to Shelby county. He had school advantages in both sections, attending the Oran special school district schools until he was seventeen years old. After putting aside his books, but not forgetting their contents, Mr. Miller went to work by the month with the determination of accumulating the capital that would enable him to buy a farm of his own and in the course of time his energy was rewarded. When he was twenty years of age he went to the west and prospered there, returning a year later with money that he had earned through his own industry.
He invested first in the old Roan farm, later bought the farm on which he lives and still later bought the Brenner farm. For nine years he lived east of Piqua, O., on his father-in-law's farm and then moved to a farm in McLean township belonging to his mother-in-law, three years afterward coming to the farm he now occupies. All these farms are finely improved, Mr. Miller taking pride in his property and hence all of it is very valuable. In addition to general farming, which he continued until he retired, in 1907, he raised many horses, especially draft horses, cattle and stock. All the farm industries were intelligently carried on, new methods were adopted when they were found superior to old ways, and Mr. Miller became known as one of the best all-round agriculturists of Cynthian township. He still continues to be interested in raising stock to some extent, but has shifted his fanning responsibilities to younger shoulders.
Mr. Miller married Miss Katie Grosvenor, who was bom in Illinois, a daughter of Hiram and Araminta Grosvenor, once residents of McLean township, Shelby county. The father of Mrs. Miller died when she was six weeks old. To Mr. and Mrs. Miller six children have been bom, Alva, Harry, Raymond and Blanche, in Miami county, and Olive and Glenn, in Shelby county. All survive except Alva and Raymond, who died in Miami county,
Mr. and Mrs. Miller attend the Christian church at Oran, of which she is a member. He is a republican in his political views. Every year Mr. Miller takes a few weeks for recreation in travel and in this way has seen much of the country and doubtless in some measure owes his excellent health to this wise change of environment and pleasurable interest in other than everyday duties and surroundings.