Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

William J. Meyer

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 527

WILLIAM J. MEYER
     residing three miles east of Fort Loramie, on his exceedingly valuable farm of 240 acres, situated in section 4, McLean township, is a well known and highly respected citizen of Shelby county, where his parents, Joseph and Elizabeth Meyer, were early settlers. He was born at Fort Loramie, O., June 22, 1876, and was educated mainly in the Berlin Special School District.
     Farming and stock raising have engaged the time and attention of William J. Meyer ever since he reached manhood, and he is numbered with the sensible, practical and successful agriculturists of this section. After some early experience he engaged in farming for two years in Cynthian township but has been on this farm for the past five years and has been six years a continuous resident of McLean township. He has impressed his fellow citizens as a man of reliability and character and in January, 1912, he was elected a member of the board of education of the Sherman Special School District, a mark of public confidence.
     Mr. Meyer was married to Miss Carrie Struckamp, a daughter of Barney and Elizabeth (Burwinkel) Struckamp. The parents of Mrs. Meyer were born in Germany. The father came to the United States when a young man and was a bricklayer by trade and at the time of Mrs. Meyer's birth was a resident of Mercer county, O. His first marriage was to Catherine Vondrelle and two children were born to them: a child that died in infancy and Mrs. Henry Barhorst of Shelby county. His second marriage was to Elizabeth Burwinkel and seven children were bom to the second union: Carrie, who became Mrs. Meyer; Henry; Benjamin, who was accidentally drowned in childhood; John and Louis, and two who died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Meyer have five children: Ralph, Julia and Aslea, twins, and Agnes and Leona. The family belongs to St. Michael's Catholic church at Fort Loramie.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toWilliam J. Meyer

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show