Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

J.E. Meranda

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 693

J. E. MERANDA
     who is one of the representative men of Jackson township as evidenced by his election to the presidency of the township school board, is a general farmer here, who owns forty acres of land and 120 acres more in association with J. K. Clayton. He was born in Jackson township, Shelby county, three miles south of Jackson Center, July 4, 1869, and is a son of J. S. and Sarah (Maddux) Meranda, who still reside in Jackson township.
     J. E. Meranda was reared in his native township arid attended the public schools and afterward taught school until April, 1900, a period of twelve years, at the close of which he came to his present farm, which is situated one mile west of Jackson Center on the south side of the Amett turnpike road. This beautiful farm bears the name of Sunset Farm, eighty acres of which belongs to J. K. Clayton, and he makes his home with Mr. and Mrs. Meranda. Its situation is admirable and Mr. Meranda carries on his farm industries with the intelligent interest and judicious methods which bring abundant success.
    Mr. Meranda married Miss Hattie Clayton, who was born in the old pioneer log house which still remained on this farm, and is the only surviving child of J. K. and Mary Clayton. They have one daughter: Mary Hazel who attends school at Jackson Center. Mr. Meranda has been a lifelong democrat but has consented to serve in few public offices. He was the man who secured the route out of Jackson Center, and it was through his efforts that the petition for free rural delivery was granted. He has been on the educational board since January, 1905. He is a Mason, belonging to Lodge No. 458, F. & A. M., of Jackson Center, and both he and wife are members of the Eastern Star. They have many pleasant social ties in the neighborhood and belong to the Methodist Episcopal church.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toJ.E. Meranda

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show