Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Michael Loy

Male 1853 - Yes, date unknown


 

Michael Loy

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 495

MICHAEL LOY
     one of the representative citizens of Shelby county, O., who resides on his valuable farm of seventy-four acres, which is situated in section 18, Cynthian township, two and one-half miles south of Fort Loramie, has been more continuously connected with educational matters in the Basinburg special school district, of which he is the present clerk, than any other resident of the township for the past thirty-six years. Mr. Loy was born September 1, 1853; in McLean township, Shelby county, and is a son of George and Catherine Loy.
     George Loy was born in Germany and was a young man when he came to the United States and settled in McLean township, locating at first among the early settlers west of Fort Loramie, whom he assisted to clear their lands. Later he bought a tract of eighty acres located south of Fort Loramie, in partnership with a Mr. Smith, the latter taking the south one-half and Mr. Loy the north one-half and this land now belongs to Michael Loy. He lost his wife, Catherine Loy, when their only child, Michael, was three years old, and his own death occurred seven years later.
     Thus, when but ten years old, Michael Loy was made an orphan. For three years afterward he lived with an uncle, when the latter's death left him again without legal protectors, and he then became a member of the family of a Mr. Wagler, a farmer in Cynthian township, with whom he lived for one year and eight months. From there he went to the home of an aunt and worked for her as a hired man, in the meanwhile attending school as regularly as he was able, in what is now the Basinburg special school district, being obliged, at that time, to go back and forth through the woods as there had been little clearing done in that locality. Mr. Loy's memory goes back to the building of the old United Brethren church edifice, which, is now in ruins, and he can easily recall the introduction of many of the most useful farm implements and machinery, now in constant use on his own land, the same never having been even thought of when he was a boy. After his marriage, Mr. Loy rented farm land until 1882, when he purchased the property on which he has lived ever since arid successfully carries on his different farm industries, assisted more or less by several of his sons.
     In 1879 Mr. Loy was married to Miss Hattie Groh, who was born in Cynthian township, Shelby county, a daughter of Ludwig Groh and wife. They were natives of Germany who lived in Pennsylvania before coming to Dayton, O., and later to Shelby county. The father of Mrs. Loy died in Cynthian township and the mother in Auglaize county, O. To Mr. and Mrs. Loy the following children were born; Harvey W., who is president of a university in Union county, Ky.; Rosa, who is the wife of Ross Hotchkiss and they live in Illinois; Frances, who is a high appreciated teacher in the Basinburg special school district; Albert, who resides east of Sidney, married Viola Mills; Frank, who teaches school in Perry township, married Elsie Geer and is a student of theology; George; Walter, who is a student at Ada, O.; Elmer; and Emma and Nettie who are in school. Mr. Loy is a republican in his political sentiments and has frequently been elected to township offices, serving at times on the election board and as judge of election, and in 1876 was first appointed a member of the special school board, on which he has served ever since with the exception of six years. He and wife belong to the United Brethren church, while the children are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toMichael Loy