Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

William Klipstine

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 446

WILLIAM KLIPSTINE
     a representative business man of Sidney, O., a dealer in lumber, coal and building materials, with office and yards on South Walnut street, has been a resident of this city for more than ten years, but his birth took place in Darke county, O., March 13, 1867, and he is a son of William and Louisa Klipstine, both of whom were born in Germany.
     The Klipstine family was founded in America by William Klipstine, the grandfather, who came to Ohio and purchased a farm in Darke county when his son William was a child. The maternal grandfather, William Haack, also came from Germany and purchased land in Darke county, and on the above farms the parents of William Klipstine, of Sidney, were reared, together attended the district schools and subsequently married.  They reared a family of three sons and one daughter and both are now deceased, the father passing away in 1894, when aged sixty-seven years. The mother survived until the fall of 1909, her age being seventy-eight years. Their children were: Louis, who is connected with the Peoples Bank at Versailles, O.; Caroline, who is the wife of George H. Worch of Versailles ; William; and Amos, who is a farmer residing on the old homestead near Versailles.
     William Klipstine attended the public schools in the vicinity of his father's farm and later the Versailles high school, and remained engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1889, when he went to Quincy, Logan county, O., where he engaged in the lumber business until 1901, when he came to Sidney as manager of the lumber business of his brother-in-law, George H. Worch, which business he subsequently purchased.  Mr. Klipstine operates a planing mill and deals in all kinds and grades of merchantable lumber and builders supplies, including hardware, paints and wire fencing, and has a commodious and expensive plant, in 1909 erecting his mill, office and storage room. Constant employment is afforded for from ten to twelve men and the business may be included with the very prosperous ones of the city.
     In 1889 Mr. Klipstine was married to Miss Mary Grove, a daughter of Hiram Grove, of Perry county, O., and they have a happy family of six children, evenly divided, as follows: Roy, Charles, Ruth, Caroline, William and Mary. The eldest daughter possesses great artistic talent and it is being cultivated at Roanoke College, Roanoke, Va. Mr. Klipstine and family belong to St. John's Evangelical Lutheran church, at Sidney. Fraternally he is identified with the Elks and the Knights of Pythias. In politics he is a democrat and has served two terms as a member of the city council, during which period his sound business judgment frequently assisted in the solving of civic problems of importance.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toWilliam Klipstine

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show