Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

Orlando Burton Key

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 706

ORLANDO BURTON KEY
     who is one of the well known and substantial men of Perry township, a stockholder in the Fanners Telephone Company and the owner of 120 acres of well developed land, was born on this farm, the old Key homestead, in Shelby county, O., May 25, 1870, and is a son of John and Anna (Rinehart) Key.
     John Key, father of Orlando B. Key, was a son of John Key, who was born in Virginia in 1781 and came to Montgomery county, O., in 1800, where he died in 1815, leaving his wife with four children, although the youngest, John, was not bom until 1816, six months after the father's death. His mother remained in Montgomery county until 1836, when she came with him to Shelby county and they lived about one year in Jackson township and then went back to Montgomery county, where he lived until 1840, after which he lived continuously in Shelby county. In 1841 occurred his first marriage, to Newlillie Lucas, who died in July, 1846, leaving two children, Norman and John H. In 1847 John Key married Anna Rinehart and seven children were bom to them: Amanda, wife of William DeWeese; Rachel, wife of Dr. D. N. Whitmire; Margaret Elizabeth, wife of John Maxwell; Martha Jane, wife of Frank Marrs; David R.: Thomas Levi, who died aged two years; Abraham Sherman; and Orlando B.
     When John Key came to Shelby county he had fifty dollars as his sole capital and with this sum he entered forty acres of land in Jackson township, then went to work by the day and month and kept on until he had saved one hundred dollars, with which he entered eighty acres of land in Indiana. He kept on working and saving, and after accumulating another one hundred dollars entered another tract of land in Indiana and afterward traded his Indiana land for eighty acres in the woods of Shelby county. The latter place he then cleared and improved and later added two other eighty-acre tracts, making his home place consist of 240 acres. Here he erected a sound brick dwelling house and kept on improving his land in every way, subsequently, through his industry and good judgment acquiring other farm land and valued real estate in Sidney and Millerstown.
     Orlando B. Key attended the public schools in Perry township and afterward took a business course in a commercial college at Dayton, O., following which he spent three years in the western states. Finding no section of the country more satisfactory than his own. Mr. Key then returned to Shelby county and has ever since been engaged in farming and stock raising in Perry township. He is an independent voter in politics and has never accepted any public office except once when he was appointed a member of the local school board.
     In 1895 Mr. Key was married to Miss Bessie Stockstill, a daughter of John P. and Mary (Miller) Stockstill. In early manhood the father of Mrs. Key followed the trades of tinner and carpenter but later became a fanner in Shelby county. He was twice married, first to Mary Miller and second to Jennie Varner. To the first union two children were born: Carrie, who died young, and Bessie, who became the wife of Mr. Key, Two children were born to the second marriage: Newton and Varner. Three children have
been born to Mr. and Mrs. Key: Fred Miller, John Otis and Max Allan. Mr. and Mrs. Key attend the United Brethren church at Pascoe, O.  He is identified fraternally with the Masonic lodge at Port Jefferson and also the Odd Fellows and is a member of the Encampment at Sidney, O.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toOrlando Burton Key

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show