Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

O.L. Kerr

Male 1868 - Yes, date unknown


 

O.L. Kerr

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 644

O. L. KERR
     who has held the office of postmaster at Houston, O., since Jane, 1902, and is also ticket agent of the Big Four railroad at that place, was born in Northwood. Logan county, O., July 20, 1868, a son of D. P. and Charlotte E. (Carter) Kerr. Both his parents were natives of Logan county, the mothers family residing at Huntsville, O., and in that county they were married. Mrs. D. P. Kerr was a daughter of K. G. and Nancy A. (Cooper) Carter; her father, K. G. Carter, who came from Virginia, died at Cherokee, Logan county, this state.. Her mother, Nancy A. (Cooper) Carter, the maternal grandmother of O. L. Kerr, died at Huntsville, Logan county.
     Mr. Kerr's parents resided for a short time at Bellefontaine, in Logan county, from which place they removed to Northwood in the same county, and then to Harper, also in that county, where D. P. Kerr was engaged for some time in mercantile business. Afterwards he carried on the same business at Big Springs, Logan county, O., and was postmaster there for a number of years. He next moved to Alvada, O., and after a short stay came back to Logan county, settling at Wharton, where he conducted, a store. This he subsequently sold and taking up his residence again in Bellefontaine, spent the rest of his days in that place, where he died August 3, 1910, at the age of seventy-three years and one month. He was buried in the old Harrod cemetery, near Huntsville, O. He was married to Charlotte E. Carter September 15, 1864. He and his wife were members of the Presbyterian church, and at one time he studied for the ministry but was obliged to relinquish his studies on account of poor health. He was a republican in politics and while a resident of Bellefontaine, served as assessor of his ward. He and his wife were the parents of two children: Minnie, who died in infancy, and O. L., the subject of this sketch.
     O. L. Kerr in his boyhood attended school at Harper and Big Springs, O., and then attended the Agosta Normal School at Agosta, Marion county, O. He then began business life as clerk in his father's store. He later began the study of telegraphy in the employ of the old "Bee line" and a year later was taken on as extra agent. In April, 1890, he was made station agent at Houston for the Big Four, formerly the old "Bee Line," which position he has since held. having performed his duties in a manner satisfactory to the company. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Piqua Lodge, No. 8, of the O. R. T. He is a member of the Presbyterian church, in which he holds the office of deacon and clerk. In politics he is a republican, as was his father.
     O. L. Kerr was married August 22, 1893, to Mary P. Ginn, who was born west of Fort Loramie, O., March 9, 1875, a daughter of John and Ella A. (Wilson) Ginn, of McLean township, who are now residents of Houston, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Kerr have had children as follows: Paul Ginn, born August 9, 1895, who died July 24, 1896, and is buried in Houston cemetery; Dean Burwell, born September 18, 1898, who is now a pupil in the eighth grade of the Houston school; Dale Wilson, born August 2, 1902, who is in the fifth grade of the same school; and Vesta Agnes, born October 27, 1905, who is in the second grade, Houston special school district. Mr. and Mrs. Kerr have resided in Houston since their marriage, where they have many friends. Mrs. Kerr is a member of the Presbyterian church, and an active member of the W. C. T. U., being president of the local branch.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toO.L. Kerr