Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

John H. Kemp

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 496

JOHN H. KEMP
     one of-the substantial farmers of Perry township, who resides on his forty-acre tract and owns a second farm containing ninety-five acres, both in Perry township, was born in Salem township, Shelby county, January 29, 1855. He is a son of Henry and Eliza J. (Gray) Kemp. 
     After his school days, which were spent in the district schools of Salem township, John H. Kemp started out to take care of himself. Possessing industry and good Judgment, he easily found employment as a farm hand and as he prudently saved his money he was soon enabled to buy land, his first investment being the forty acres on which he resides, this purchase being made in 1894. Here he has placed many improvements, including a commodious and comfortable residence and a substantial barn and other farm buildings. His second farm he purchased at a sheriff's sale, in 1908. Mr. Kemp no longer is an active fanner, having practically retired. The larger number of his brothers and sisters live in this county, he being the second born of his parents' children. The others were: Phoebe Jane, who married twice, first.  Frank Armstrong, and second, Jonathan Henman; Mary, who is deceased, was the wife of John Stiles; Louvina, who married (first) William Winsor, (second) William Beerline; and George C, Emmanuel E. and Samuel N.
     On August 9, 1881, Mr. Kemp was married to Miss Anna DeWeese, a daughter of J. D. and Lydia (Kiser) DeWeese, who were early settlers in Shelby county. To Mr. and Mrs. DeWeese the following children were born: D. K.; Benjamin and Thomas, both of whom are deceased; Anna; Samantha, who is deceased, was the wife of Mack Van Demark; Therza, who is the wife of A. N. Stephenson; Jethro M.; Cora, who is the wife of Isaac Green; and James. Mr. and Mrs. Kemp have an adopted son, Albert W., who was born September 8, 1907, to whom every educational advantage will be given and whose future is well assured if he develops, as now promises, into a youth of fine character and of more than ordinary intellect. Mr. and Mrs. Kemp attend the Baptist church at Pemberton, 0. Politically Mr. Kemp is a republican and for fourteen years he served as a trustee of Perry township. For six years he filled the responsible position of superintendent of the Children's Home in Shelby county and during this time his wife was the matron, their administration being marked by efficiency. Mr. Kemp belongs to the Knights of Pythias and attends the lodge at De Graff, O.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toJohn H. Kemp

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show