Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

Louis Kah, Jr.

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 821

Louis Kah, JR., who is second vice-president of the Shelby County Building and Loan Association, at Sidney, Ohio, and a director of the same and practically its first promoter, belongs to one of the stable old families of the county, of German extraction. He was born on a farm in Dinsmore township, Shelby county, ten miles north of Sidney, Ohio, September 21, 1855, and is a son of George and Dorothy (Zimpfer) Kah.
     George Kah and wife were born in Germany and the latter was only three years old when her parents came to the United States and located sixteen miles east of Columbus, Ohio. When she was eight years old they came to Shelby county and settled on land east of Anna, where her father, Jacob Zimpfer, secured land. Mrs. Kah still survives, but Mr. Kah died at Sidney, to which place they moved in 1864, and there he carried on a shoe business until the close of his life.
     Louis Kah, Jr., attended the public schools of Sidney and afterward assisted his uncle, Louis Kah, Sr., for whom he was named, in conducting a general store at Anna. After returning to Sidney and finding no business opening that was satisfactory, he accepted a position as bookkeeper in a town in Georgia, where he remained for two years when he again returned to his home in Sidney. Here, in 1880, he embarked in the tin and hardware line in which he continued for nine years, in the meanwhile becoming interested in the electric lighting business. His enterprise and public spirit induced him to purchase a site across the river where he installed an electric light and water plant, in 1900, which was of the greatest utility and was known under his name. Mr. Kah subsequently sold the same to the Sidney Electric Light Company, since which time he has been somewhat retired. It was largely through his efforts that the business men of Sidney became interested in the papers to secure subscribers. The company was organized in December, organization of the building and loan company which has developed into so important a business factor here, Mr. Kah personally presenting the first 1895, and began business in the Metcalf building, removing in 1901 to a fine modern structure of their own.
     In 1876 Mr. Kah was married to Miss Alfaretta E. Anderson, who is a daughter of William H. Anderson, of Sidney, and they have six children, namely: Harland Edward, who is connected in a business way with the Sidney Building and Loan Association: Ralph C., who is assistant secretary of the above organization; Julia; Carrie, who is the wife of R. M. Moore, lives in Tennessee; William H., who is a watchmaker by trade: and D. C., whose business interests are connected with wall paper at Sidney. Mr. Kah is a leading member of the Sidney Commercial Club.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toLouis Kah, Jr.

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show