Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

John M. Hughes

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 862

JOHN M. HUGHES
     a retired fanner residing in Jackson township, who has served two years as township trustee, was born in Miami county, Ohio, Dec. 18, 1850, a son of E. H. and Elizabeth Hughes. He was five years old when he accompanied his parents to this township. After acquiring a fair practical education in the local schools, he took up agricultural work on the home farm, where he remained until 20 years of age. He was subsequently engaged for nine years in farm work in Salem township. He then returned and settled, on a farm of his own, adjoining that of the parental homestead, it being located in section 22, about two miles south of Jackson Center. This farm, which is known as "Woodland," contains 105 acres of good land, ten acres of which are still in timber. It is well improved and drained and the substantial
buildings now standing thereon were all erected by our subject Mr. Hughes married Mary Cargill of Port Jefferson, O., a daughter of John Cargill. They have had children, as follows: Kate, the wife of W. M. Zimpfer; Clay, who is now operating the farm; Flossie, wife of John Akers, and two who are deceased. Mr. Hughes is a Republican in politics and formerly served as school director. He is a man highly respected in Jackson township, of which he is one of the prosperous and representative citizens.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toJohn M. Hughes

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show