Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

John B. Holscher

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 518

JOHN B. HOLSCHER
     one of the well known men of McLean township, whose fine farm of eighty-five acres, situated in section 11, lies on the south side of the east and west road, three miles southwest of Fort Loramie, O., was born in Cynthian township, Shelby county, March 19, 1849. His parents were Joseph and Clara (Eilerman) Holscher.
     Joseph Holscher was born in Germany and spent his earlier years in his native land, being aged about twenty-one years when he came to Ohio, where his first work was helping to dig the canal. He married Clara Eilerman and they settled on a forty-acre tract of land which is the present site of the reservoir, which land they were obliged to vacate when plans were completed for the building of that utility. Although Mr. Holscher received a certain amount as damages it was not as large as might reasonably have been expected. He moved then to the northern part of Cynthian township, where he secured eighty acres and afterward devoted his time until death to the improvement of that land, his decease taking place in his sixtieth year. His widow survived about ten years and their burial was in the cemetery attached to St. Michael's Catholic church. They had the following children: Henry, who resides on the old homestead; Mary, who is the wife of Henry Schalter, lives at Fort Loramie; John B.; Joseph, who lives in Cynthian township; and a babe that died.
     John B. Holscher, with his sister and brothers, attended the Sherman District school and grew up on the home farm as his father's helper and has carried on farming and stock raising on his present place ever since his marriage. He still has fifteen acres in timber but has cleared all the rest of the land and has, by careful cultivation, made it very productive. He has always been a hard working man and of so reliable a character that frequently his fellow citizens have elected him to township offices, and has served many years as road supervisor and as a member of the board of education in the Walkup Special School District.
     Mr. Holscher was married first to Miss Kate Gudenkauf, who became the mother of one daughter and both are deceased. The second marriage of Mr. Holscher was to Miss Matilda Rottinghaus, and the following children were born to them: Benjamin, Henry, William, Elizabeth, Matilda, Anton, Sophia and Frances, twins, Ludwig, Adam and Emma, all of whom survive except William and Elizabeth. Mr. Holscher and family are members of St. Michaels Catholic church. In his political views he has always been a democrat.


Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toJohn B. Holscher

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show