Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

Henry Hoelscher, Sr.

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 641

HENRY HOELSCHER, Sr.
     who is one of the well-known residents of Cynthian township, lives on his valuable farm of eighty acres, which lies three miles southeast of Fort Loramie, on the south side of the township line road. He was born in McLean township, Shelby county, O., on the site of the present Loramie reservoir, September 11, 1843, and is a son of Joseph Hoelscher, a native of Germany.
     Joseph Hoelscher came to the United States and to Ohio in 1835 and bought a tract of eighty acres of uncleared land in McLean township and the deed for this land his son Henry Hoelscher, still preserves. He married and with his family lived on that place until the time of the overflow that sent the back waters of the Miami and Erie canal into what is now the Loramie reservoir, on which occasion his children had their lives endangered and had to be rescued by means of boats. When Joseph Hoelscher first settled on the farm owned by his son in Cynthian township, it was covered with heavy woodland but with the help of his sons he cleared it and developed a productive farm during his life time. He married Clara Eilerman, who was also a native of Germany, and they had four children: Henry; Mary, wife of Henry Schlater, of Fort Loramie; John, residing in McLean township; and Joseph, living in Cynthian township. The family was one of the early ones that helped to found the Catholic church in this section. Joseph Hoelscher died when aged about fifty-four years and was survived many years by his wife, her death, occurring in her seventy-fifth year, and they both were interred in the Catholic cemetery at Fort Loramie.
     Henry Hoelscher attended the district schools in both McLean and Cynthian townships when he could be spared from home, for, as his father's eldest son, many responsibilities fell on him in youth. He has spent his life in Cynthian township, on the present farm, and has carried on fanning and stock raising with very satisfactory results. All the substantial farm buildings now standing, Mr. Hoelscher placed here and he has taken considerable pride in keeping his property in a fine state of repair.
     Mr. Hoelscher was married in early manhood, to Miss Mary Ernstes, who was born in McLean township, Shelby county, O., a daughter of Joseph Ernestes, one of the early German settlers there, and eight children were born to them, as follows: Frank, who resides, at Carthagena, Mercer county, O., married Mary Barhorst; Henry F., who is a farmer in Cynthian township; Katie, who is the wife of Conrad Fleckenstein, deceased; John, who lives at Dayton 0., married Mary Ulerman; Joseph A., who lives in Cynthian township, married Rosa Fleckenstein; Rosa, who is the wife of Casper Hess, and they live in Carthagena, Mercer county, 0., and Maggie and Lena, twins, who live at home. Mr. Hoelscher and family are members of St. Michael's Catholic church at Fort Loramie. He has been a lifelong democrat, always giving his party active support but never asking, for political honors for himself. The Hoelscher family is one of the old and most respected ones of this section.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toHenry Hoelscher

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show