Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

John W. Harp

Male 1853 - 1930  (76 years)


 

John W. Harp

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 487

JOHN W. HARP
     general farmer residing in section 33, Cynthian township, where he owns eighty acres of valuable land, was born December 3,1853, in Loramie township, Shelby county, and is a son of Albert and Catherine (Galley) Harp.
     Albert Harp was born at Piqua, O., of Scotch and German parentage, and was reared to manhood at Lockport, O. He married Catherine Galley, who was born in Carroll county, Md., of German parents, and twelve children were born to them, four of whom now live in Ashland county, one in Kansas, one in North Dakota, and the following in Shelby county: Mrs. Elizabeth McLellan, of Cynthian township; Jacob, of Sidney; and John W. Albert Harp was a plasterer by trade and was accounted a good workman. In his youth he served as a soldier in the Mexican war and during the Civil war served as a member of the Fiftieth O. Vol. Inf. fortunately escaping all injury in both wars and living to return to Loramie township, Shelby county, where he had previously established his home. He died in Cynthian township on his seventy-first birthday, having outlived his wife for many years, she passing away when aged fifty-four years. They attended the Dunkard church and both were interred in the Dunkard cemetery in the eastern part of Cynthian township.
     John W. Harp attended the district schools and under his father, learned the plasterer's trade and worked more or less at that trade up to 1900, after marriage residing for nine years in Paulding county and then settling on his present farm in Cynthian township. Seventeen years ago he purchased this property from the Danferd heirs. It had been partially cleared, but all the fencing was done by Mr. Harp and all the erecting of the present substantial buildings. The land is well situated, lying three-fourths mile south of the Sidney and Hardin turnpike road.
     Mr. Harp married Miss Lydia Roads, a daughter of John S. Roads, a former resident of Loramie township, and ten children were born to them, although but three are now living: Clara, who is the wife of Alfred Ward, and they live in Michigan; Pearl May, who is the wife of A. A. Woods, of Cynthian township; and Edward, who assists his father on the home farm. The mother of the above children died when aged fifty-four years, four months and twelve days, and her burial was at Houston, O. She was a woman of many virtues and was a consistent member of the Christian church at Oran. In his political sentiments Mr. Harp has been a republican since early manhood and has frequently been called on by his party to accept local responsibilities. He served as township trustee for seven years and was also school director for many years and for fourteen years has been treasurer of the school fund of the Oran special school district.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toJohn W. Harp