Dr. Alvah Whitney Grosvenor, MD was born near Ft. Lorarmie, Mc Lean TWP, Shelby County, Ohio on November 29, 1856. Dr. Grosvenor was the son of Hiram GROSVENOR and Arminta WHITNEY and the grandson of Nathan and Catharine M. GROSVENOR and Francis T. WHITNEY and Abigail BLANCHARD. His parents were married in Shelby County, Ohio on October 14, 1852. His father was born New York, most likely Stockton, Chautauqua County, NY, in 1829 and his mother was born in Hamilton TWP, Warren County, Ohio in 1833.
When Dr. Grosvenor was about three years of age his parents relocated to Argenta, Macon County, Illinois where they remained until about 1870. Sometime prior to 1873 his mother returned to Shelby County and resided with her mother (Mrs. Abigail WHITNEY) in Orange TWP. Dr. Grosvenor had three siblings, Eliza A. Grosvenor born in 1858 (Mrs. William H. CROMER) and twins Catharine Grosvenor (Mrs. Franklin B. MILLER) and Abigail W. Grosvenor born in 1862.
Dr. Grosvenor took his medical training at the Ohio Medical College, from which he graduated in the class of 1882. Dr. Grosvenor was a practicing physician for almost 50 years, retiring only after his health failed shortly before his death.
Rev. F. M. Kirgan united Dr. Grosvenor in marriage on October 9, 1883 to Rosanna STONE, daughter of Richard F. STONE, at the First Presbyterian Church in Sidney. Dr, and Mrs. Grosvenor were the parents of Walker H. Grosvenor born in 1884, Ross L. Grosvenor born in 1886, Agnes Elizabeth Grosvenor born in 1888 (Mrs. William Flinn RICKEY) and Dr. Alvah W. Grosvenor, Jr., PhD who was born in 1890. Dr. and Mrs. Grosvenor resided at 336 North Avenue in Sidney for most of their married lives.
His first medical offices were opened in Lockington, Shelby County, where he practiced for a few years before moving his practice to Hardin, where it remained for several years. In 1894 he moved his medical practice to Piqua, Miami County where he remained in general practice until 1903.
Between the years 1903 and 1905 Dr. Grosvenor was a resident at the Chicago Ear, Eyes and Throat medical school, specializing in treatment of these disorders. Upon completion of this extended medical training, Dr. Grosvenor returned to Sidney and continued practice in this specialty until very shortly before his death in 1932. His offices were located in the “Ohio Building” in Sidney, Shelby County.
Dr. Grosvenor was very active in the First Presbyterian Church of Sidney and a deacon of this church when he died. Dr Grosvenor was also active in the Shelby County Medical Association and was Treasurer of the association when he died. Dr. Grosvenor was also a Mason.
Mrs. Rosanna Stone Grosvenor died on March 9, 1926, Dr. Grosvenor died on October 25, 1932 and they are buried together in Graceland Cemetery., Sidney, Shelby County, OH. After the first Mrs. Grosvenor died in 1926, Dr. Grosvenor remarried but little is known of this individual other than her name, Nina WRIGHT.
Note: Much of this information was taken from the 1932 published obituary of Dr. Alvah W. Grosvenor in the Sidney Daily News as well as genealogical research done by the author.