Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

William M. Hall

Male 1839 - Yes, date unknown


 

William M. Hall

History of Shelby County and Representative
Citizens by A. B. C. Hitchcock Sidney Ohio. Published by Richmond-Arnold
Publishing Co. Chicago, Ill. 1913
pages 578,579

One of the energetic business men of Sidney, Shelby County, is he whose name is given above. He is a dealer in agricultural implements, also carrying a fine stock of buggies, carriages, etc., with ware rooms at Nos. 618 and 620 Main Avenue, near Court Street, where he has been in business since 1875, having first embarked in the buggy business exclusively. 

        Mr. Hall was born in Concord Township, Champaign County, Ohio, May 11, 1839. He is a son of Fleming and Elizabeth (Kiser) Hall, the father being a native of Virginia who came to Champaign County when a boy, his father, Capt. John Hall, being one of the pioneers of the State. The latterís title was acquired in the War of 1812, in which he served. They were farmers, our subjectís father devoting himself to that calling in Concord until the late war, when he enlisted in the Sixty-sixth Ohio Infantry and was taken prisoner at Winchester, VA. He was one of the victims of the Lynchburg Prison. In connection with his farming, he carried on large stock dealings. His wife was born in Clarke County and was reared in Green Township, Shelby County. They had a family of nine children,m but of these only six survive. They are William M,. of whom we write; John Riley, George Walker, F.H., and Morris Howe Hall. The mother with three of her children, is at present residing in Atchison County, MO. The boys are know as the Hall Bros., and are prominent dealers in agricultural implements, stocks and farm lands.
        William M. Hall received his education in the schools at Urbana, and after finishing he at once engaged in farming and in the stock business and later became proprietor of a general country store until 1873 when he became interested in the business in which he now is. He served gallantly in the war, enlisting first in the One Hundred and Ninety-second Ohio Infantry on one yearís call and serving as Orderly of Company C. He joined the company February 24, 18 1856 and was mustered out September 7, 1865. During service, he was sent to Shenandoah Valley Army, commanded by General Duryea, where he served until the close of the war. 
        Returning to his fatherís place, our subject engaged in the mercantile business, and 1878-79-80 he filled the office of City Marshall, taking this in addition to his legitimate business, to which last he added the agricultural implements in 1880, in which he has been very successful. He deeps three men constantly on the road. In 1886, he secured the organization of the Sidney Buggy Company, of which he was manager until 1889, and again from November, 1891 until the present time. This company was organized for the manufacture of light vehicles and gives employment to from twenty to thirty-five skilled workmen. The firm is now known as Fristoe, Stewart & Co., our subject being the company, the others his sons-in-law. 
        The marriage of the original of this sketch took place April 23, 1861, at which time he was united to Miss Mary Woodard, a native of Clarke County but reared in Champaign, and a daughter of James Woodard, a merchant in the last-named place. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hall, one of whom, a boy, died when two years old. Uretta E. is the wife of W.H. Fristoe; Alice J. is the wife of L.A. Stewart; Sarah Ella married C.W. Kiser, Piqua, this State, and a dealer in agricultural implements; Anna F. is still at home. Mr. Hall owns a fine property and an attractive and commodious residence. No man is better known in this part of the State than the original of this sketch. He has traveled time and again through these counties and is as well liked as he is respected. 
.

 


Owner/SourceSubmitted by Douglas Henry
Linked toWilliam M. Hall