John C. Elliot
History Of Shelby County 1883 (Sutton)
John C. Elliot was born in Clark Co. Ohio, Oct. 6, 1812. He is a son of Thomas and Martha Elliot. In 1817 his parents moved to Jackson County, Ohio remained until 1826, when they returned to Clarke County. Mr. Elliot remained on the farm with his parents until he arrived at the age of twenty one years. His first business engagement was that of making shingles, which he followed for several years. On the 9th day of August, 1835, he married Miss Sarah Claton, then of Clarke County, but a native of Greene County Ohio. In the autumn of 1836 MR. and Mrs. Elliot came to Shelby County. He entered, made improvements, and settled on eighty acres of land in Section 9, Jackson Township, on which he lived, and followed farming as his vocation until September, 1869, when he moved to Montra, same township where he is now residing. On the 16th of November, 1870, he engaged in the mercantile business in Montra, which he has had been conducting with success. He also owns a large farm in Section 9, Jackson Township. By his union with Miss Claton he reared a family of nine children, viz., Thomas, Margaret, William C., Clark, Lewis, Druscilla, Martha, George W., and Sarah, all of whom are yet living except William and Margaret. William C. died at Meadow Bluff, Virginia July 20, 1862, while serving in the late war. Mrs. Elliot died June 5, 1960.
On the 26th of October, 1862, Mr. Elliot married Mrs. Martha Patton, nee Stephenson, then of Logan County, Ohio, but a native of Clarke County Ohio, where she was born August 9, 1826. By this union he has three children, viz., Angeline, Charles, and John. He served as justice of the peace of Jackson Township about eighteen years, and as commissioner of Shelby County twelve years.
Submitted by Marcella Messer.