Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     1 2 3 4 5 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

Hon. Patrick Gaines Goode

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 324

HON. PATRICK GAINES GOODE
     The Hon. Patrick Gaines Goode, named after the illustrious Patrick Henry, an intimate friend of his father, belonged to the sixteenth generation of the illustrious family of Goode. They were Huguenots and many emigrated to Virginia at an early day, figured prominently as loyalists in its provincial history, but took a decided stand as patriots in the war of the Revolution. Many of the family were lawyers, physicians and legislators in the state and in congress.
     Judge Goode was born in Prince Edward county, Virginia, May 10, 1798, and came to Ohio near Xenia with his father in 1805. Here he worked on a farm until sixteen when he entered a classical school for three years and later followed, the same instructor to Philadelphia where he studied for two years. He then came back to Ohio and commenced the study of law at Lebanon, Warren county, which boasted of some of the great legal lights of the day. He was admitted to the bar at the age of twenty-three, practiced a little while at Madison and Liberty, Indiana, and in 1831 came to Sidney. As the county was yet new he devoted a part of his time to teaching and was a zealous worker for the State Sabbath School Society, organizing schools in Shelby and the counties north of it. In 1833 he was elected to the Ohio house, reelected, and in 1835 received a certificate of election to the Ohio senate which he refused to claim because some of his opponents' votes were thrown out on technicalities.
     The following year he was sent to congress from a district of fourteen counties extending from Dayton to Toledo, twice reelected and refused a fourth term. In congress he was an indefatigable worker and labored incessantly for the improvements in the Maumee valley. When the sixteenth judicial district was created in 1844, composed of Shelby and Williams with the intervening counties, ten in number, he was elected president judge of the district by the general assembly for a term of seven years. After his term was out he resumed the practice of law in Sidney but shortly abandoned it to enter the ministry. In 1857 he was granted a regular appointment in the M. E. conference and so zealous was he that he overtaxed his endurance at a meeting of the conference in 1862 at Greenville where he was burdened with responsibilities owing to his knowledge, of parliamentary, law that he died two weeks later, October 7, 1862.
     He was married July 3, 1832, to Miss Mary Whiteman in Greene county, and had three children, two of whom survived childhood.
     Handsome in person, easy and gracious in manner, lofty in his ideas, he made a deep impression on everybody he met. Eminently religious by nature he set a high moral example in the practice of politics. Judge Goode was not only a Jurist but a man of fine literary taste and was all his life a student. At the establishment of the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, he was made a member of the college board of trustees and continued in that capacity up to the time of his death. He was an able advocate and profound lawyer, ready and proficient in all matters of evidence and practice and his industry was such that he was always found fully armed and ready for the fray.
     Well may the language of Antony which he applied to Brutus be applied to him: "His life was gentle, and the elements so mixed in him, that Nature might stand up and say to all the world ' This was a man!' "

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toPatrick Gaines Goode

» Show All     1 2 3 4 5 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show