Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Charles E. Given

Male 1857 - Yes, date unknown


 

Charles E. Given

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 509

Charles E. Given, secretary and treasurer of The R. Given & Sons Company, tanners and manufacturers of saddlery goods, one of the large and prosperous business enterprises of Sidney, O., was born at Sidney, September 6, 1857, and is a son of Robert and Catherine Given.
     Robert Given came from Pennsylvania to Shelby county about 1851 and as he was a tanner by trade became interested at once in the leather manufacturing business at Sidney. For a number of years he worked in the tannery that later became his property, then became foreman and superintendent, and in 1869 entered into partnership with S. Alexander Leckey under the firm name of R. Given & Co., which operated as tanners until the death of Mr. Leckey in 1881. Mr. Given then admitted his son, Charles E., to partnership and continued his own association with the business until 1884, when John F. Given, another son, entered into the partnership and the firm style was R. Given & Sons until 1890, when Joseph C. Royon was admitted. The three partners continued together until 1902 when the business had so expanded that incorporation became desirable and a board of officers was elected, Mr. Royon becoming president; Charles E. Given, secretary and treasurer; and J. F. Given, 
vice-president and general manager. About 1885 they opened their saddlery branch, first putting out flynets and later manufacturing collars and other properties. Having been more or less connected with this business all his life, Mr. Given understands it in every detail and his name and that of the firm stand high in the hide and leather trade all over the country.
     Mr. Given married Miss Catherine Yenney, a daughter of George F. Yenney, who formerly was in the pork packing business at Sidney but now lives retired. Mr. and Mrs. Given are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Owner/SourceDiana (Souders) Smith
Linked toCharles E. Given