Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

Johnson Ginn

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 530

Johnson Ginn, who is well known all over Shelby county, O., is a very large and successful dealer in livestock, devotes the greater part of his time to the buying and selling of cattle and resides on his farm of ninety-two acres which is situated in section 10, Walkup Special School District, McLean township, three miles west and one-fourth mile south of Port Loramie. Mr. Ginn was born on this farm in April, 1847, and is a son of William and Marian (Bodkin) Ginn.
     William Ginn was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, and there married his first wife, Jane Walkup, who died in Miami county, O. William Ginn and wife and their eight children settled three miles north of Troy, O., and remained there one year when the wife died and he moved to the farm in McLean township now owned by Johnson Ginn. He found work on the Miami Canal near Fort Loramie and in that way earned the money which he invested in this land. Later he married Marian Bodkin, who was born in Virginia and came with her people to Ohio. Six children were born to this marriage, the second wife dying when their, son Johnson was two years old. William Ginn was married a third time, Mrs. Jennie (Mullen) Rutledge, a widow, becoming his wife. She was also born in Ireland and died when over sixty years of age, having had three daughters born to her first marriage. William Ginn outlived all his wives, he being in his eightieth year at time of death. He was a man of many fine traits of character and continued to be active both in mind and body into advanced years. He served as a soldier in the Civil war but escaped all injury. When he settled on his land in McLean township it was heavily timbered, not a stick of wood ever having been cut, and it was through his untiring industry that the first building on the place was put up and preparations made to convert the wilderness then prevailing into a comfortable homestead. Gradually he acquired other tracts of land until at one time he owned about 500 acres situated in Darke and Shelby counties. After improving his McLean township land so that others could live on it with a large degree of comfort, in 1851 he made himself a home on his Darke county land, just across the road, and there continued to live until his death. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and his burial was in the Sidney cemetery.
     Johnson Ginn attended school near his father's farms and then began his own career as a farmer, residing south of his present farm for some years and selling the same before coming back to the old home place. This property he has under a tenant's care as he devotes the most of his time to his stock activities. The land is well tiled and much of it is in pasturage and fifteen acres remain in valuable timber.
     Mr. Ginn married Miss Minerva Houston, who was born in Darke county, O., a daughter of Eli and Melvina Houston. Mr. and Mrs. Ginn have had two daughters: Florence, who resides at home; and Abigail, who died when aged six months. In political connection Mr. Ginn has always been a republican as was his father.

Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toJohnson Ginn

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show