Shelby County
 OHGenWeb

Biographies

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show

William H. Fristoe

"History of Shelby County, Ohio"
by A.B.C. Hitchcock; Sidney, Ohio; 1913
Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co.; Chicago, IL.
Page 481

WILLIAM H. FRISTOE

     one of the leading men of Shelby county, and one who is known in democratic politics all over Ohio, came to this county in 1864 and it has been his home ever since. He was born on a farm in Hocking county, O., March 22, 1851, and is a son of Charles and Anna Maria (Beery) Fristoe.
     Charles Fristoe was bom and reared in Virginia and was twenty-one years of age when, in 1833, he came to Licking county, O. He was married near Bremen, in Fairfield county, to Miss Anna Maria Beery, who was reared there and was a member of one of the old, prolific and substantial families of that section, of Virginia ancestry. The Beery family still holds yearly  reunions and William H. Fristoe is president of the organization. After marriage, Charles Fristoe bought a farm near Gore, in Falls township, Hocking county, and moved to Shelby county in 1864 when William H. was thirteen years of age, and here Charles Fristoe died in May, 1876. His widow survived many years, passing away at the home of her son in 1890.
     William H. Fristoe was reared on the home farm and first attended school in Hocking county and afterward in Shelby county and when he started out for himself spent the first season working on a farm south of Sidney, in Orange township. Afterward he was employed in a brick yard in Turtle creek township, but in 1874 came to Sidney and learned the carpenter trade and for some years worked at bridge carpentering all over the state.  In 1884 he was elected town marshal of Sidney and served for four years but in 1889 went into the implement business, as a member of the firm of Fristoe, Stewart & Co., five years later becoming an independent dealer and conducting his business alone for four years, when he was elected sheriff of Shelby county, in which office he served for two terms, from January 1, 1898, to January 1, 1902. Mr. Fristoe then bought the old Fielding farm in Clinton township, near Sidney, and carried on agricultural operations here for five years, during which time, through his efforts in securing the petition, he succeeded in having the fine turnpike road built which was named in his honor. After selling his farm he resumed the implement business at Sidney and continued until 1908, when he disposed of it to the firm of Arnet & Son. He has been active politically since early manhood and has served in many public offices and capacities as indicated above and for four years was a member of the city council of Sidney. In June, 1910, he was elected deputy state oil inspector of Ohio, and in January, 1911, was elected a member of the county board of infirmary directors and is clerk of this body.
     In the fall of 1884 Mr. Fristoe was married to Miss Uretta Hall, a daughter of Marion Hall, then a well-known citizen and locally noted as an auctioneer, whose death occurred in February, 1911. Mr. and Mrs. Fristoe had two children born to them: Charles Marion, who is a soldier in the United States army; and William ,Robb. The mother of these sons died July 20, 1907. Since 1873 Mr. Fristoe has been an Odd Fellow, in which organization he has advanced to encampment membership, and since 1892 has been identified with the Masonic bodies.


Owner/SourceSubmitted by: Diana (Souders) Smith
Linked toWilliam H. Fristoe

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 ... 582» Next»     » Slide Show