WALTER E. FRETZ
senior member of the firm of Fretz & Lininger, dealers in furniture and undertakers, with quarters in the Ames building, Sidney, O., is one of the representative business men of this place and as a citizen is reliable, interested and useful. He was born at Garrett, in DeKalb county,. Ind., March 18, 1882, and is a son of George and Eva Fretz, his father-being now a retired farmer.
Walter E. Fretz spent his early years on the home farm and in the country schools prepared for college and later graduated from the Tri-State Normal College at Angola, Ind. Following the termination of his educational period he taught school for about five terms during the winter seasons, in the summers paying some attention to undertaking, after which he entered the Barnes School of Anatomy and Sanitary Science and Embalming, at Chicago, from which standard school he received his diploma as an embalmer in 1904. He resided at Garrett and at Auburn prior to accepting the position of manager of a large undertaking establishment at Kokomo, Ind., where he remained for three years, and from there came to Sidney, October 8, 1908, where he purchased the interests of the Mentges Brothers, the oldest undertaking firm in the county. Here Mr. Fretz associated himself with Mr. Lininger and since August 3, 1910, they have added dealing in furniture to the undertaking business. Mr. Lininger is also a graduate of the Barnes School and prior to entering into partnership with Mr. Fretz, was a member of the firm of Daily & Lininger, at New Holland, O.
In June, 1906, Mr. Fretz was married to Miss Pearl Daniels, of Waterloo, Ind., and they have one son, Robert L. Mr. Fretz belongs to some organizations pertaining exclusively to his business and is also identified with the
Knights of Pythias.