BENJAMIN F. FOSTER
whose fifty acres of fine land is situated one mile east of Sidney, bordering on the Tawawa turnpike road, in Clinton township, Shelby county, O., was born on a farm one-half mile south of where he lives, October 6, 1864, and is a son of John and Catherine (Peterhaus) Foster.
The parents of Benjamin F. Foster were born, reared and married in Germany, and one year after marriage came to the United States. They spent the first six months at Baltimore, Md., and then came to Ohio, pausing for a short time at Dayton, and then came on into Shelby county, where they remained for the rest of their lives. John Foster became a substantial farmer in Clinton township. They were members of the Lutheran church and at death were buried in Graceland cemetery at Sidney. They had a large family of children, as follows: Christiana, who is the widow of Jacob Dormire; George and John, both of whom are deceased; Mary, who is deceased, was the wife of John Shaffer; Christian; Lewis, who is deceased; William; Callie, who is the wife of L. W. Kah; Benjamin F.; and Catherine, who is the wife of Henry McCracken.
Benjamin F. Foster had common school advantages and since then has devoted himself to agricultural pursuits, carrying on general farming and raising stock, and all his efforts have been expended on the old homestead. On November 22, 1894, Mr. Foster was married to Miss Jennie Gearhart, who was born in Perry township Shelby county, a daughter of Frank and Elizabeth (Miller) Gearhart, both natives of this county. Mr. and Mrs. Gearhart had the following children born to them: Harry, Edward, Lucy, William, Augusta, Jennie and Earl. Augusta is the widow of Ora A. Dunson. Mr. and Mrs. Foster have one son, John F.. who was born October 2, 1896, who is a
most satisfactory student in the Sidney high school. Mr. Foster and family attend the Lutheran church. Politically he is a democrat but is no aspirant for office, and fraternally he has been connected with the Odd Fellows at Sidney for many years. Mr. Foster is one of the solid, reliable men of Clinton township.